Chapter 25 ~ Is this the end?

TW: Suicide, death, swearing, blood, guns, knives

Karl's POV:

I wasn't sure what to except from this. Death? That seemed the most likely. I don't want to die, no matter how many times I've considered taking my life. It wouldn't even matter, everyone who ever cared about me is in this room. I don't even have parents. Mom is dead and Ben is dead to me. I have shit parents.

I was brought back to reality by the increasing pressure on my neck. I could feel blood trickle down my neck. This can't be the end. I let silent tears flow down my face. I didn't dare sniffle, any sound could make him angry. I learned that the hard way.

The standoff continues for 2 more tense minutes before someone speaks up.

"This is dumb. You only have two choices and there's an obviously answer. So hurry the fuck up, I'm getting impatient," Techno says. I gape at him. How could he be so brave and calm in times like this?

"Shut up. I could kill you right now," Aaron snaps back.

"If you killed me then everyone else in the room would die. It would make my former boss mad and he would kill your two children. So no, you can't kill me," Techno argues. I mean, he does have a point. Aaron seems at a loss for words. He doesn't want to admit he's been outwitted.

Techno has a smug look on his face. He knows he has won. 

Techno slowly stands up to face Aaron. I look to the other side of the room. Ben is just silently watching this unfold. I make eye contact with Sapnap and for the first time I see genuine fear in his eyes. Seeing him like that makes me panic more than I already was.

Techno looks at the man holding him and slightly cocks his head. He smiles,

"You don't seem well trained."

In an instant Techno disarmed the man and used the knife to cut the rope binding his hands. I wasn't sure what to do because I certainly couldn't disarm the man hold me by myself. I was pulled to a different wall that was far away from Techno and Aaron. 

Techno managed to kill the man and then turned toward me. Aaron just stood there in shock. Ben and his men stood there unmoving as Sap and Lucie had horrified looks on their faces. I probably have the same expression.

"Karl! Duck!" Techno screamed. I was alarmed by the sudden order but I squeezed my eyes shut and lowered my head. I heard a sickening crack from behind me then a cough. The man who was holding me now had a knife stuck in throat. His blood was all over the back of my shirt. He was most definitely dead.

I released a shaky breath trying to get my vision back to normal. I kept picturing my mom's body on the floor of Aaron's cell. I might've fainted of the horrible images but Techno ran up to get my attention.

"Karl! Snap out of it!" Techno reached for my hands and cut the ropes, "You need to get out of here!"

"What about you?" I screamed at him.

"You were my only friend when I was little. You saved me, now I'm going to save you," Techno took my hands, "I need you to run."

He turned around and engaged in a battle with Aaron. It was unclear who was winning.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ben running out of the room. Without a second thought I ran after him. I could swear someone called my name but I didn't turn back, I wasn't going to lose sight of Ben.