Chapter 48

There is sunshine in my soul today...

    .Niklaus.

     I try my best to ignore Shawn's criticizing look as I step into the car with the worst attitude ever. Not that it was my fault, I literally just had the worst weekend of my life. Discovering you killed your girlfriend's mother slash best friend isn't something you just deal with.

      "You look like crap man," Shawn finally voices out and I take a side glance, noticing the irritated look on his face. "You sure you don't want to sit it out today?"

       "Can you drive...please?"

      "Your choice." He shrugs, shifting the key to bring his engine to life.

     My head leans against his slightly cold window as he drives by. Images of the past few days flashes through my mind as I try my possible best to get the terrifying truth out of my head. I understood why Elsie did what she did now. I'm a wreck now, not having the proper memory of the event but still being told about it. I had gone through my worst life mistake at such a young age and there was no reversing it.

        "Klaus?" Shawn's voice drowsily comes to notice and I gaze out the window to notice we're already in school. The parking lot is bustling with students like every other morning but to me, it feels different. Different because I'm now forced with a given ultimatum...It's either I tell her or keep it hidden. The latter doesn't sound like quite the choice.

       "Klaus...hey." I'm brought to a halt by Ruby Lopez. A.k.a. the school's very own walking gossip.

       "Hi Ruby." I reply her nonchalantly.

        "You're going to be at the dance next week, right?" She asks, making her Spanish accent ever more obvious than it usually is. "I need like the entire school over and knowing you'll be there will be a great way to get most of the girls to come."

       A flyer is placed in my hand as she gives a charming grin. "I don't know Ruby. I may be busy."

        "Don't be silly. We won't be teens forever, might as well enjoy it while it lasts." She flutters her lashes as a light giggle escapes her lips.

         "Well..."

     "Don't forget to bring a date." She winks, turning on her heels before trailing away.

          "What the hell?" I pause, staring at the flyer in my hand now.

        "You just got Ruby Lopez to flirt with you looking like that," Shawn states, suddenly appearing beside me. I watch a smirk form on his lips as we approach the school building. "She obviously wants you to ask her to the dance."

         "I've got a girl..." I stop my sentence midway as the event Elsie had narrated to me comes into notice.

       "I guess she didn't get her nose in on that scoop." He chuckles, placing his hand into his pocket.

        "That or she just doesn't care." I shrug, as we finally step into the school.

        She's the first one I notice. Even when she's almost at the end of the hallway, displaying her frustration at life as she tosses a bunch of paper into the trash can. Her hair is different today. She has it in a bun which almost has all the hair spilling out since she has such short hair. Her neck tattoo is visible and I doubt she has a care in the world about it.

      I'm in a trance as I take in every single detail about her like the fucking weirdo that I am. Her leather jacket that smelt like roses, her boots...her damned signature boots. And then there's just everything else adding up to her and how beautiful she is in her own way. If it was any other day, I'd stride across the hallway, pull her into one of the classrooms and probably give her one of the best times of her life but not today...I felt guilty to the core and I just wouldn't let it be the same. It couldn't.

       "Our girlfriend's coming over." Shawn teases, gesturing towards Raven.

    My eyes shift from the floor they had landed on due to the guilty conscience I was having. They come in contact with Raven's and she's just a few steps away from me, giving up a small wave and the smile she'd never accept to be one of the best features about her.

        "See you at lunch." I blurt out to Shawn before rushing off. I was a coward and I didn't have shame in admitting it when it came down to this situation.

   .Ravenna.

     My hand drops to my side as Klaus takes off, leaving me standing in front of Shawn...someone who kept a very awkward expression.

       "Raven... what's up?" He chuckles awkwardly, glancing towards Klaus' escape route.

       "We don't have to have this conversation." I roll my eyes, holding on to my strap.

        "No hard feelings." He scrunches up his face before jogging after Klaus.

      I stare down at my boots as a loud, very frustrating groan leaves my mouth. Did I really get him that pissed? Maybe I shouldn't have punched him. Definitely shouldn't have. I lift my head, watching the school's main exit. Guess I was playing hooky.

                             ×××

      "Want to explain what you're doing here when you should be at school?" Isabelle asks, putting on a mean tone. I grab a seat on one of the bar stools and grin at her.

       "Can I get some whiskey?"

      "You don't drink." She counters.

     "Yeah, make that two shots," I ramble on, ignoring her. "It has been rough these last few days."

      She rolls her eyes before grabbing a glass and pouring down my order. I slip some cash over and watch the annoyance on her face.

        "You don't have to pay." She shrugs, sliding it back across the table.

      "Keep the change." I wink, raising a shot before downing it. I watch the horror on her face as I lift the other.

       "Drop it." She seethes.

    Did she really think I wasn't going to have a drink?

       "You don't want me reporting to your manager now, do you?"

        "Are you out of your mind?" She scoffs, slamming her palms against the bar top. "What's wrong with you? We're friends, aren't we?"

       "You had me asking the same question a few days ago when you had me out of your apartment and out on the fucking street.." I almost scream at her. "I almost died Izzy."

       "You said you needed to go home." She sighs.

        "I was drunk. How could you let me out?! I trusted you!" My voice finally goes high as I stare at her in disbelief. "I've done nothing but trust you...do you know how difficult it is for me to trust someone?"

       "I'm sorry Raven." She apologizes, her shoulders slumping.

      I gulp down the second shot, dropping the glass with a slight thud. "It's a little too late for that."