Chapter 59

Why should I apologize for the monster I've become? No one ever apologized for making me this way...

    .Ravenna.

     My heart thuds in my chest as multiple thoughts swivel in my head. He couldn't have. My mom? No, no, no. I attempt shaking off the thoughts, my eyes slowly getting moist. Who else knew? Elsie, of course. Did my dad know? Did Jenna know? Was that why she'd come at me in school the other day?

      The shoes I'd gotten on was definitely not made for running and that point is proven when I trip, slightly ripping my dress. "Stupid dress!" I scream out, kicking off both my shoes. I grab them both and pick up my dress once again, returning my run on nothing but my bare feet.

       I reach the final turning to my house when I decide I could not go home. That would be his first stop. He'd come look for me there first and attempt feeding me with whatever cooked up shit he had managed to come up with.

        "You killed her mother."

      Elsie's voice echoes in my head as I begin my walk away from the diversion. I squeeze my eyes shut as the tears which had managed to form attempt to spill.

       "I get to decide when I want to tell her."

      Like hell it was his decision! She was my mom for fuck's sake. To think he'd at least have the conscience to tell me something after all we'd gone through together. I was obviously stupid to think I was suited to be in a relationship. My legs carry me faster and I'm soon brought to a familiar doorstep. The lights reflecting from the rooms suggests that the recipients were still awake and hopefully, the one I had come to help for was around.

       I stagger towards the porch, curling my fingers to place a few knocks.

        "I'm coming! Jesus! Calm down, would you?" The familiarity of the voice almost has me smiling even at my awfully pathetic situation. The door swings open and River's face drops when he sees me in probably the worst light ever. "Raven?"

       "Riv."

    I collapse into his arms, panting hard. My shoes fall from my grip as my best friend pulls me in and manages to shut his door in the process.

       "Who was at the door?" His mom's rarely heard voice comes on as she walks into the living room.

      River pauses, still holding me in his arms. I slowly tilt my face to look at his mom and a small gasp escapes her lips when she catches sight of me.

       "Raven?" She chokes out her words. "I'll send some fresh clothing upstairs."

       I manage a small nod before River guides me up the stairs. His mom, Margaret, or as I prefer to call her–Maggie–was a really close friend of my mom before she–before Klaus killed her. River and I had gotten the both of them bonding and they turned out to be really good friends. Kat's mom was too bossy and a tad bit bitchy so they never invited her to hang but that didn't stop them from including her in their Friday nights discussions when they met at Izzy's bar and made God damned awful impressions of the woman over glasses of vodka or whatever the hell they drunk. Kat's mom doesn't know till this day and hopefully it stays that way.

      We enter River's room and I'm not surprised to find it a little messy. It wasn't like he was expecting me or anything and this wasn't the first time I was coming over anyway. We hung out a lot more when I attended East High. But we weren't in those days anymore and a lot has changed since then.

      "God, you look awful." Riv comments, swiping a finger across my cheek. I was now settled on his bed, with him on the edge. He lifts the finger to show me and I catch a glimpse of black. Of course, the first time I decide to wear mascara, things go terribly wrong.

      I sniff, sinking my fingers into my hair. I'm unable to let out a word as my thoughts wander off once again, leaving me in an oddly comfortable silence with Riv.

      A few minutes later, his mom appears with some clothes she thinks might be suitable for me to wear. Maintaining the silence, I accept them and use their bathroom to take a shower and clean myself up. My first thought when I had seen myself in the mirror was 'God, I look like a drowned cat.' my mascara had been smeared and was running down my cheeks, giving more of the raccoon vibe but my hair had also managed to become disheveled with all the wind which had gotten through it while I ran all the way from Klaus' place, which I'd admit is a really far place.

      Maggie had gotten me fluffy pajamas pants and a huge red shirt which I admit to liking but I'd prefer my black tees any day.

       "She got you some meatloaf," Riv clears his throat, gesturing towards the plate on his night stand when I get back in. "It's what we had for dinner so..."

       "Thanks." My voice comes out sounding really bad and cracked. I guess all that crying wasn't really good for me.

       I place myself into his bed once again, sinking even lower this time and almost covering up my entire skin with his blanket.

       "None of that," he barks out, pulling the blanket away from me. "Jeez. You even have a pink nose. What the hell happened Raven?"

      "Not exactly sure I want to talk about it right now." I respond, sitting upright with folded arms.

        "Okay. I respect that. What about the dance? Kat got you all dressed up and now–"

        "I changed my mind."

      "This must be really bad, huh?" He asks, referring to whatever my problem is. I give a slight nod. "Well, luckily for you, I'm just the guy to meet to brighten up your day...or night...um, whatever."

        "I think I'm just going to go to bed."

        He stops mid action. "You're sure?"

      "Just come to bed." I groan out, stretching to turn off his light.

       "Well, since you asked so nicely..."

     "Your mind stinks." I manage a small smile as he slips under the covers with me. I hit the switch and pivot to glance at River. I find him already staring at me and I lift a teasing brow.

        "What?"

      "Oh nothing. Just thinking this isn't my daily view of Ravenna Black." He jokes, giving me a flashy smile.

       I reciprocate the action for a brief moment. My eyes gaze down, as my thoughts begin bothering once again. I didn't need to be thinking about Klaus right now. I painted the wrongest picture of him ever and now, it's getting kind of hard to restart the whole masterpiece. I was in bed with another guy for Pete's sake...I needed to get this whole image of him out of my head.

        "Don't get mad." I gaze back at Riv.

         "What?" I keep his other questions at bay as my lips crash with his. It's first a bit angry and he tries wrestling himself out of it but then, he relaxes into it, cradling my face. I shove off the blanket and straddle him, my fingers snaking into his hair. A couple of moans lets out and when I'm certain my mind's most certainly cleared up, I break up the kiss and return to my position on the bed.

        "Goodnight?" I don't await his reply as I pull up the blanket and pivot to avoid his gaze.