Chapter 38

As she walked...all the demons stopped...

       I watch as Kat's eyes lighten up, taking in the beauty of the carnival. River immediately runs up to a food stand and I can't even bother to feign surprise. I take a side glance, giving Klaus a huge smile which he returns. He grabs on to my hand, interlocking our fingers and while this was definitely not my kind of thing, I couldn't really find it in myself to care.

        "What should we do first?" Klaus asks as we trail by, watching people try different games.

        "I call Ferris Wheel!" Riv suddenly yells, appearing out of literally no where with a corn dog stuffed into his mouth.

          I take in the sight of the huge wheel which probably covered more space than anything else on the plot. "Kat, you want to go up on that?"

         I had a fear of heights and my phobia being kept kind of depended on Kat's answer. If she wasn't interested in the ride, then I could simply cover up with that. River knows I'd stick with Kat anyway.

         "Absolutely! Why not?" She replies, a little too enthusiastic.

          "See...I'm hearing, 'absolutely not', sorry Riv," I tsk. "Maybe some other time."

          I watch as River's eyes roll towards the back of his head. "She wants to go on the ride. Don't tell me you're afraid of heights, Raven."

          Kat snorts. "She might as well be, now that she's got a boyfriend. A list of things you'd never expect from Raven." River chuckles at that, giving her an high five.

         "Let's go ride that bitch." I scowl.

       Klaus and I get buckled up into one of the seats while River and Kat get on another. Two persons per seat and I was kind of grateful for that because I didn't want River and Kat laughing up at me if I let out a scream or anything. There were about thirty people on this thing anyway, so if I yelled now, it could be mistaken for that of any one.

           "Are you sure you want to go on this thing?" Klaus asks, lifting his brow.

       "Uh...yeah, totally."

        "You know, we could sneak off right now without River and Kat seeing us and just make them believe we rode on it too." He suggests with a smirk and I stare down at his lips, taking the hint.

      Breaking out of his trance, I shake my head to clear my thoughts. "No. I've got to do it. I don't chicken out."

       He lets out a breath of laughter at my choice of word and I smack at his hand. The  machine momentarily goes on and then off, which has me gripping on to Klaus' shirt. His laughter increases at that point, echoing through my ears as my fingers pull up his shirt.

          "Hey, look up." He whispers into my ear and even though I don't want to, I can't stop myself from glancing up. His lips immediately meet mine with a gentle touch and I'm unable to decide if the tingles spreading round are from the nervousness of being so high up or the impact of his lips. They disconnect from mine and brushes against my forehead as the ride really starts this time.

           The ride turns out to be what I least expected but it definitely gets my adrenaline up. River and Kat end up ditching Klaus and I to go compete against each other at the claw machine and I was secretly glad for the alone time I was finally going to get with Klaus.

        My shoulder clashes with Klaus' as I give a teasing smile. "What's up with you? Your mood is all...meh!"

       "Just tired, I guess." He answers, nonchalantly, which is an obvious tell he's lying.