Chapter 58

The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool.

                   –Stephen King.

   .Niklaus.

     Wednesday rolls over faster than I wanted it to and within hours that felt like minutes, the night is here and every individual attending, in their house trying their best to dress the prettiest or impress someone they've developed an affection for.

      My fingers brush back my hair, almost messing it up in the process. I was running a bit late and I was meant to go pick Raven up. Honestly, I was so excited to see what she was dressed in. Did she decide to wear a dress like almost every girl in the hall would be? Or is she going to stick to her casual self, not bothering what others thought about her?

      My fingers fumble with the buttons on my shirt as I attempt a rush in my actions. My tie is laced on right after that and I stuff my feet in my shiny black dance shoes.

      "Um...Klaus?" Elsie stutters walking into my room. I absent-mindedly continue my dressing as my eyes meet hers. "Raven's here?"

     Her statement almost sounds like a question and I watch the confusion on her face. She had no idea we were still together after she told me the truth about her mom. I guess she expected me to be so guilt tripped that I'd break up with her. Like that was an option.

        "She's my date." I say, slipping into my blazer.

       "Your date?!" She shrieks a little too loudly. She shuts the door behind her and lowers her voice a little. "Your date? Niklaus, do not tell me you're still dating that girl under pretense."

       "I am Elsie," I sigh, brushing my fingers through my hair repeatedly. "And it's not going to be under pretense for long, I'll find a time to tell her."

        "You think this is something you just keep to yourself?" She scolds me, her voice turning harsh. "You killed her mother, you either leave her alone or you tell her right away. You're building your relationship based on lies. Is that really what you want?"

       I step away from the mirror, focusing my gaze on my bothered sister now. "I never meant to and it is my relationship. I get to decide when I want to tell her."

        "It doesn't work that way Nik," She counters and I roll my eyes. "If you don't tell her soon, she's going to hate you and you know it."

       I didn't need to hear it to know it. She was bound to hate the individual who caused her mother's death. In the time we've spent together, I'd come to know she really cherished her mother and the relationship she shared with her. Discovering I had something to do with the accident her mom had gotten in was like a card swap. Love for hate and I doubt it'd be any easy to swap the cards back. She already carried so much hurt in her life. This was going to be the breaking point.

        I stir to give Elsie a curt nod. "See you after the dance El."

       When I pull my door open once again, I find Raven standing right in front of it, totally paled. She had chosen to wear a dress after all. A long black dress which had a slit running up its right side. She looked amazing in it and that was an understatement. I'm unable to let out words as she bounds her dress in her hands and takes off running out of the house. She had heard my conversation with Elsie.

     "You should have told her sooner."

   A/N:

   So this is a very short chapter and I had thought about making it a little longer but I thought dedicating it to the truth would be so much better. Ending it on a cliff hanger like this also felt exciting because it kind of gives me time to work with the emotions that come in the next one. Anyway...thank you so much for reading Ravenna. Please remember to drop your votes and comments. I appreciate you anyway though and please encourage me by checking out my new book, The Unearthing. Thanks again.

       HepzieH ♡