17 | radio silence

Cameron nudges me out of my train of thought that was spiralling down a hole I knew I wouldn't get out of. He had found Murphy with Jaha?

"Where the hell are you going?" I chuckled. The idea of Jaha and Murphy even being in the same room was funny.

"He wants to see Wells' grave. Even took me off work duty to do it so I'm out." Murphy grinned. I pull Murphy away from Jaha and Cameron. What the hell was he doing?

"Why you? I'm not letting you go alone." I worried. Murphy narrowed his eyes. I could feel Jaha side eyeing me too.

"Calm down Avery. I'll be fine. Don't get a mushy on me now." He jokes. I give him a cold look and he walks off with Jaha outside.

"Well, that was definitely a duo? They'd be great together!" Cameron jokes. There's something more. Something going on with Jaha. He's all chancellor and stuff then he gets down here, thrown in jail and now he's going off with Murphy? Of all people? Murphy. Cameron and I walk into an empty room, or he pulls into it.

"I have a surprise for you." He says this basically squealing. He was like a puppy.

"What?" I ask.

"I'm going to teach you Trigedasleng, the language of, well what your people call us, the grounders."

"I can't learn an entire language in a day, Cameron."

"With my help you can. Besides I'm just teaching you the basics. The same way I learned English, you will learn my language."

"Why?"

"If you want to speak with the grounders, you'll need to know okay? Just trust me let's begin." Cameron grinned. I roll my eyes as he begins teaching me basic nouns and verbs. It was like I was in school again. We did this for hours, and I was starting to get it, I think.

We hear Indra calling for Cameron and we run outside. I go and stand beside my dad and whisper 'what's going on?' He doesn't answer. It was dusk now. Not too dark, but the sun had set. It was pouring rain.

"I hope you've saved some energy, for a hunt, I'm told our hosts have no food." I hear Indra shout. I didn't even realize it was in Trigedasleng until after.

The grounders begin walking but Octavia steps in the way. I run up with Cameron to see what was going on.

"Time for one more?" Octavia asks.

"Step aside, sky girl. We're hungry." Indra growled. Lexa was right, she didn't trust easily.

"Make me." Octavia insists. Her eyes were full of fire, the same Octavia I remember from the ark, when I thought she hated me.

"Fio, give this girl what she wants." Indra yells. A big man with a sword steps up to Octavia, ready to fight.

Octavia doesn't step down, she walks toward the man and they spin around each other like a boxing match. Or wrestling? Something like that. I only remember from 'Fighting With My Family', the one with Florence Pugh? I love that movie. Anyways...

The man tries to scare Octavia but still no one makes a real move. Octavia brings her sword over her shoulder and meets it with his making a loud clinking noise, again, and again. He kicks her in the stomach and throws her to the ground.

"We have to do something." Cameron whispers.

"No. She's got this." I reply.

We continue to watch as Octavia gets up still panting.

"You gonna give up that easy?" She questions.

"She wants more, oblige her." Indra declared.

Octavia dodges the first few hits the he hits her in the back, then face and then kicks her on the ground again.