25 | criminal minds

I stood there, frozen for god knows how long. I was just stuck in place. How could this happen? I should have tried to help him, I should have tried harder. With each step he took further away from me I saw the child in him leave too. The one I grew up with.

I loved him.

But like I said when we got on the ground, I can't love him anymore. He may have changed his ways since the first day but now, how can I look at him the same?

Octavia brought me inside after a while. She tried to talk me into thinking he was just in a 'bad place'. But that didn't give him an excuse to act out. He's just scared, she told me.

We are all scared obviously.

I walked in and saw my dad and hugged him. After my mom died we made this little thing when we would hug. We would lightly tap eachother on the back four times, my mother's favourite number was four. It was the age she knew I would be a leader, a strong and powerful woman. She would tell me that she could see it in my eyes the day I turned four.

All the harm my mother caused me, the tapping on the back was still mine and my dads favourite thing to do. It became a habit, it was almost weird not to do it.

"Is it true you tried to sneak out to see Indra yesterday, Octavia?" My father asks as we walk down the halls of the arc.

"Look. Don't you have more important things to worry about than me sneaking out of camp?" Octavia complains.

"As it turns out, that's why you're here. Why you are both here." My dad brings us into a room, I've never seen it before. Octavia looks around like she hadn't either. "Indra signalled. She wants to meet. I'd go myself, but Pike is watching everything I do now."

He pulls out a bag with 2 swords inside. Octavia looks impressed, and a little smirked telling me she was excited. Ever since she was 'with' Indra, she became good with swords like, really good. It was her thing and I was so proud of her for finding it.

"You want us to go see Indra?" She asks. She looks over to me and smiles as my dad hands us the swords, giving one to me too?

"I need you to." He adds.

"You don't think Pike is watching me? Also how the fuck do I hold this?" I ask. Octavia grabs her sword and I copy her hand placements. "Because clearly he was watching my little meltdown earlier, you don't think he cares?" I continue.

"I think he cares but he's focused on other things, you'll be okay." My dad nods. He turns and starts lifting up the wall? Or a small hatch I guess.

"Okay we're in but, how do we get out-" Octavia wonders. I look at the big hole in the wall and she does too. A vent system.

"Crawl space door in 20 feet drops you outside the camp wall. Get out there. You need to find out what the hell happened. Then you report back here? Can you guys do that?" He asks.

Octavia hops into the vent. She smiles and looks back to my dad.

"I was born for this." She grinned.

My father looked at me proudly. He knew we could do this. I was just worried for him, what would Pike do if he found out?

"Yeah, and I will just follow her let's go." I laugh scooting Octavia forward.

"Marcus Kane to the chancellor's office. Marcus Kane, to the chancellor's office." The man on the P.A. announces. I nod to my dad.

"Be careful." He says as he closes the hatch. I look and Octavia begins crawling down the vent.

"You think anyone can hear us in here?" I whisper. She looks back and giggles.