- { Chapter 2 } -

I wake up to my dad shaking and patting my shoulder. "Nik, wake up. Families are gonna start arriving soon." My eyes shoot open.

"How long have you been up?" I ask as I jump down from the loft and walk to my closet.

"10 minutes. All I've done is gotten dressed." I nod as I grab my outfit for the day.

"You go get things ready. I'll be downstairs for the meeting in a little bit."

"Okay. Don't forget to take your me-" I cut him off. "I won't dad. And I'll come down for the family breakfast too. Don't worry." He shakes his head and scoffs.

"What? You're too predictable!" I laugh.

"Don't forget to drop the accent before you come down." He says as he walks out of my dorm. I don't respond because he knows that I heard him. I walk out of my closet with my outfit and walk into my bathroom.  

      I get a quick shower

      I get a quick shower. Once I'm out of the shower I dry myself off and blow dry my hair, which I rarely do. I brush my teeth and then dry my pendant off. Then I start to brush my hair. I style it and then get dressed. I put on my favorite AC/DC shirt and some jean shorts. I put my oversized school hoodie over it which is black with the Salvatore crest on it. I put on my beanie and my fidget rings. I tuck my pendant under my hoodie. Then I slip on my thigh high combat boots and sit down at my vanity. I put on my moisturizer and let it dry. Then I put on a light coat of mascara and some clear lip gloss. I look at myself in the mirror.

"No accent." I stop talking in my natural British-Canadian accent and switch over to my American accent that I've been perfecting since I was five. "Smile. Make it look real." I start talking to myself in the mirror like I do every morning. "Today will be great. Don't let them see that you're sad. Don't let them see past the facade." I tell myself the same things I do every morning so I can put on the facade of a happy girl.

     I close my eyes and when I open them there's a smile on my face that wasn't there before. This is how they'll see me. This is how they'll see Nikkol Saltzman. Your family is your choice. I may be a Mikaelson by blood, but I'm a Saltzman by choice. "You can do this." My smile slowly fades and I walk back into my bedroom.

     I go to my desk and grab the letters that my dad and I talked about last night. I grab my bag off of my desk and put them in.. This bag contains things I never leave my room without. Things like my sketchbook and pencils. My laptop and a bunch of other things. I grab my phone and keys and put them in my pocket. Then I open the door and lock it behind me.

     I make my way downstairs and find all of the students and their families scattered throughout the building. I make my way to the library where I find my family. "NIKKI!" my uncle Damon and cousin Stefanie come barreling towards me. Stefanie hugs me and when she's done, Damon hugs me and spins me around in a circle.