- { Chapter 15 } -

Damon Salvatore walks through the sunlit hallway leading to his youngest niece's bedroom. "Nik? Rise-n- shine! I made vampcakes!" He says as he hits his knuckles against the door.

     Not hearing any movement on the other side of the door, his brows furrow. Nikkol is usually up before the crack of dawn. She would have gone out on an early morning run or something before coming back, getting ready for the day, and making breakfast for her family.

     The oldest Salvatore checks his watch and grows increasingly worried as he notes the time. "Nikkol? You in there?" He knocks on the door again.

     Once again, the vampire receives no answer. He mumbles something before he tries the doorknob. Locked. He reaches behind the side of the door frame and grabs a hidden key, before sliding it into the keyhole. He turns the brass object counter-clockwise, hearing a small click, before turning it back to its original position and placing it back in its hiding spot. He goes back to the knob and turns it, spirit rising as it actually turns this time. Spirit falling once again as the door doesn't budge.

     The raven haired immortal sighs before walking to the kitchen where his family and his niece's soulmates reside, eating breakfast. "Well, I got nothing. Door was locked and it's spelled shut." He says as he slumps down in a stool at the island.

     Isaac and Benny stand up, being followed by the Winchesters. "What's going on?" Castiel asks as the group of men walk into the hallway.

"Option A, which is very unlikely: She's asleep." Isaac says.

"And option B?" Dean questions nervously.

"She's havin' a bad day and doesn't wanna be bothered." Benny frowns.

"So we do the opposite?" Sam questions skeptically as the group continues to walk down the hall.

"It's what best friends are for." Isaac says, trying to lighten the solemn mood.

"It's not good for her to be left alone on her bad days." Benny says briefly, being more serious than the heretic.

     Isaac performs a nonverbal spell, opening the door. He quickly scurries up the stairs to Nikkol's loft. "Not up there." He says as he jumps off the loft, taking after his sister figure. The vampirate best friend runs over to the bathroom door and tunes his hearing in, listening for any signs of his friend on the other side of the door. He shakes his head, making Isaac sigh.

     The Winchesters all look at each other, feeling the same pull towards the closet. Dean opens the door to the closet before leading his brothers through. Isaac and Benny scurry after them, wide-eyed. Dean opens the door to Nikkol's separate shoe closet and heads in.

     The three Winchesters look around the closet in confusion. Shelves are lined with countless pairs of shoes, the majority being composed of combat boots and sneakers. Sam strays away from the group as Isaac and Benny watch with intrigue. The tallest Winchester eyes a certain pair of shoes. Shoes no one would ever expect Nikkol Saltzman to wear. Not even a complete stranger.

     Sitting on the lowest shelf in the back right corner of the shoe closet, lies a pair of low-top black canvas shoes with baby pink bats littered across them. "What the hell are those?" Isaac asks with a look of disgust on his face. The long-haired Winchester crouches down to the pair of shoes and lifts one of them up, a look of shock crossing his face as he finds a string attached to the bottom of it.

"Son of a-!" Dean jumps and nearly fires off a shot as a loud, mechanical whirring noise sounds behind him. The boys all turn to look behind Dean as a hidden door opens. "She's always loved those." Isaac scoffs.