- { Chapter 21 } -

"A psychiatric hospital? Really?" Nikkol questions as she loads her duffle bag into the trunk of the Impala.

     It had been a week since the shapeshifter case in Connecticut. The three of them had been relaxing in the bunker for the past few days. Then yesterday, Sam and Dean had gotten a call from an old buddy of their dad's, asking them for some help with a possible case.

"That's where Martin is, yeah," Sam sighs.

"And you're sure he's a reliable source?" Nikkol questions skeptically, feeling uncomfortable with the notion of having to be in a mental facility. "I mean, I know he used to be a hunter and he knows his stuff, but..."

     Sam and Dean look at Nikkol, noticing how she's anxiously picking at the skin around her fingernails without even realizing it. Sam walks over to her and gently takes her hands in his. "Look at me," he tells her, "Deep breath."

     Nikkol does as he says and looks up at her youngest soulmate, taking a deep breath. Sam smiles softly at her, brushing his thumbs lightly over the back of her hands, "Good girl."

     The tribrid's cheeks flush at the praise and she looks down at her feet in an attempt to hide it. Sam and Dean both notice and smirk. Dean walks over and takes Nikkol from his brother, placing his hands on either side of her waist, "Hey. Eyes up here, sweetheart," he tells her.

     Nikkol looks up into Dean's eyes, her breath hitching slightly. Dean smirks as he sees her flushed cheeks. "We promise, everything is gonna be okay. We're just gonna go check it out and see if Martin's right. Okay?" he tells her.

     The flushed brunette nods slightly, "Okay."

     Dean smiles and kisses her forehead before leading her over to the passenger door of the Impala, "C'mon. You can sit up front."

"What about Sam?" she questions.

     Sam smiles at her softly, "It's okay. Go ahead."

     Nikkol hesitates before sighing and sliding into the passenger seat of the car, not noticing how Dean cups the edge of the roof to make sure she doesn't hit her head. Sam closes the trunk before sliding into the backseat. Dean closes Nikkol's door for her before walking over to the other side of the car and sliding into the driver's seat. He puts the key into the ignition, smiling slightly as the engine roars to life. Then, Dean drives out of the garage and onto the open road.

⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎

     Nikkol, Sam, and Dean sit in front of a desk, opposite a doctor, who opens a file. The doctor skims over the information in the file before looking at the three soulmates skeptically. "You were referred to me by a Dr. Babar in Chicago."

"That's right," Dean nods.

     The doctor puts the file down on his desk, "Isn't there a children's book about an elephant named Babar?"

"I don't know," Dean says, "I don't have any elephant books. Look, doctor, I- I think that... the doc was in over his head with this one. 'Cause my brother's, uh..." Dean whistles and does the 'crazy' motion with his finger.

"Okay, fine. Thank you. That's— that's really not necessary. Why don't you tell me how you're feeling, Alex?" the doctor asks Sam as he pulls out a clipboard to take notes.

     Sam sighs, "I'm fine. I mean, okay, a little depressed, I guess."

"Alright. Any idea why?" the doctor asks as he writes on his clipboard.