15.

THE five walked along with the forcefield for some time before Katniss stopped them, "Hang on." The girl slung her bow over her head and started climbing one of the many tall trees in the seemingly endless forest.

Lilith sat next to Finnick as she climbed. She was thinking about her brother and Johanna and she hoped that they hadn't been killed in the bloodbath. After a few moments, Katniss climbed down.

"The forcefield. It's a dome. We're at the edge of the arena," she explained, "I couldn't find any signs of freshwater."

"It's gonna get dark soon," Finnick started, "We'll be safe with our backs protected. We should set up camp. Take turns sleeping. I can take first watch."

Katniss chuckled scornfully, "Not a chance."

Lilith stood to meet her eyes, "Honey, that thing we did back there for Peeta? That was called saving his life. If we wanted to kill either of you, we would have done it by now."

"Lily, my love, you're scaring them," Finnick spoke from behind them.

"This is the Hunger Games. They should be scared." Lilith trudged off and Finnick went after her. She helped Mags stand to sit at a tree before taking a seat beside Finnick.

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and she cuddled into him more. As her eyes started drooping Finnick pressed a kiss to her forehead, "Sleep, my love." He shifted her head so it was in his lap and ran his fingers through her hair until she fell asleep.

Finnick watched her as she slept, he looked at every detail of her. He only looked up as Katniss sat on the other side of him as the arena got dark.

"How's Peeta?"

"He's okay, I think. Dehydrated like the rest of us," Katniss replied. Finnick nodded and his gaze went to Lilith as she stirred in her sleep.

"You care for her," Katniss spoke.

"No. I love her. More than I can describe," Finnick corrected.

The Capitol anthem played and the fallen tributes were shown in the sky. Lilith woke up and stared at the sky, hoping not to see either Johanna or Jackson up there. As it stopped she sighed in relief.

"Eight," Katniss muttered. Finnick made a noise of agreement. Electronic chiming echoed around the trees, louder than the crickets and the birds. Lilith sat up as a small parachute floated down.

Katniss got up to retrieve it, opening it quickly. Lilith and Finnick walked over, "What is it?" Finnick asked.

"It's from Haymitch," Katniss answered twirling it in her hands, "I think it's a spile."

"A what?" Finnick asked confused.

"A spile, Finny. You bang it into a tree to get its water out," Lilith answered as Katniss was doing just that.

They followed her as she waited. She gasped as water started pouring out, putting her mouth out to catch some, "You're kidding me," Finnick laughed.

They all drank and Finnick went off to get a leaf. When he came back he cupped the leaf under the running water, "I'll get some for Mags." When it was full he crouched beside the old woman and helped her drink. She smiled up at him gratefully.

Lilith drank some more but stood alert when some kind of alarm rang through the arena.

"I counted 12," she said sitting by Katniss who nodded.

"Midnight?" Finnick asked.

"Or the number of districts," Katniss answered.

In the distance, a machine whirring sounded before a large tree was struck by lightning 12 times.

"Well if you're not gonna sleep, I will," Finnick said. Lilith nodded and moved past Katniss.

"Okay."

The two walked away from her and lied down in a comfortable spot. Lilith smiled at him and kissed his lips lightly. The two drifted off in each other's embrace.

Authors Note
Hello, lovelies. Please read my other books if you like Klaus Mikaelson or Steve Rogers. Please also follow my Pinterest (which is in the banner 👇) to see all upcoming book covers and aesthetics.

Anyway, thank you for reading