25.

OVER the next few days, Effi had decided to plan Lilith and Finnick's wedding. During that time, Katniss had fully healed from her wounds. Peeta however was still in isolation. Lilith made sure she went to see him every few days.

In the meantime, Lilith and Finnick spent their days being happy with their family and friends. Although, Coin slightly ruined it as she gave them work to do.

They sat in the helicarrier in the corner talking quietly. A bit away from them they could see Katniss and Gale but they completely disregarded them.

"How do you even play this game? It's ridiculous and I feel like you're cheating," Finnick said.

Lilith laughed, "I'm not you're just not very good at it." The game was one she and Jackson used to play as kids. Both parties would hold out two fingers separated on each hand. The aim of the game was to get the other person's hand out by reaching five fingers.

Lilith tapped three fingers onto Finnick's two and smiled, "You've lost."

"Oh, come on."

"Fair is fair, baby," Lilith kissed his lips lightly.

"We're nearing!" A shout came.

A few moments later, the helicarrier landed and the ramp descended. Lilith picked up her katanas, Finnick picked up his trident and they walked down with the rest of the group.

"Welcome to District 2. I'm Corporal Holmes. Follow me please," they followed the man towards a building. It was more like a standing structure as rumble pilled outside. A whooshing noise came overhead before it exploded. Finnick covered himself and Lilith and the rest of the team ducked.

"Don't worry. It's just how the loyalists say good morning," Holmes joked.

"How could he be joking at a time like this?" Lilith questioned Finnick quietly. He shrugged and they continued.

They entered the building and was greeted by a woman, who was later introduced as Commander Lyme, "President Coin we're indebted to you for the reinforcements and the Mockingjay." Coin nodded in acknowledgement through the screen, But I'm not sure that anyone outside of 2 knows what we've been up against."

"This is the Nut," she pointed towards the hologram on the table, "The Capitol's headquarters for all offensive operations. It's manned by both military and civilian personnel from District 2. As you can see the fortress lies so far beneath the bedrock it's untouchable. Yesterday we attempted to take down the Northeastern gate. The enemy countered from higher up and we were forced to pull back. We took heavy losses."

The commander of District 5 spoke up, "Could we create a decoy? Send troops towards one gate, launch a staggered attack on another."

"Whose troops do you propose as a decoy, Commander?" Commander Paylor asked. Lilith choked on a laugh as she saw the man's face.

"We have the Mockingjay. Don't underestimate her. We could use her to erode support. She may be able to sway some of the loyalists," Coin said.

"You've been underground a long time, Madam Coin. This isn't like the rest of Panem. Support for the Capitol runs deep here," Lyme replied.

"Then there is no sacrifice too great," Coin responded. Lilith's eyebrows flew to her hairline.

Was she suggesting that people should give up their lives?

"We need to control the arsenal inside that fortress. Even with every District in its alliance, we are outgunned," Coin explained.

"I won't commit my people to a ground assault just to pillage weapons," Paylor spoke.

"Commander Paylor, your people have suffered more than just about anyone else at the hands of the Capitol," Coin tired. Lilith realised what she was doing. She was trying to guilt-trip them into doing her bidding.

"Which is why I won't condone a mass suicide," Paylor argued in a calm tone.

"If we don't take District 2 we won't get into the Capitol."

"Will it be enough to disable the fortress?" Gale interrupted, "Instead of taking it?"

"What do you have in mind?" Lyme asked.

"You think of it as a wolf den. You're not going to fight your way in, so you've got two choices. Trap the wolves inside or you flush them out. If we can't attack straight on couldn't we use your hovercraft to strike around it? We use the mountains. We have weak spots in the peaks."

"You could design the bomb target in sequence using seismic data," Beetee added.

"Trigger avalanches," Lyme nodded.

"Block all exits. ut off their supplies. You make it impossible for them to launch their hovercraft," Katniss looked at Gale stunned.

"Bury them alive," Lilith nodded.

"We'd forfeit any chance to control the weapon," Coin reminded.

"Can this bitch shut up. We have a good plan," Lilith muttered to Finnick. He cracked a smile.

"Yes but we'd face a weakened Capitol," Beetee argued.

"There are civilians in there," Boggs spoke up, "They should be given a chance to surrender. Could use one of the supply tunnels for the evacuees."

"It's a luxury we weren't given when they fired on 12," Gale spoke monotonously.

"There's gotta be a better way," Katniss pleaded.

"I suggest we try the avalanche," Coin spoke.

So now you agree.

"But leave the train tunnel alone. Civilians can escape into the square where our armies will be waiting for their surrender."

Lilith couldn't believe it. The woman was always talking about helping the people but yet here she was allowing them to possibly die. She shook her head and Finnick wrapped his arms around her. He rested his head on her right shoulder and pressed a kiss to her temple.

"We should have every available medic standing by," Paylor added.

"And if they won't surrender?" Lyme asked.

"Then we will need a compelling voice to persuade them," Coin replied. Lilith scoffed. Clearly, at some point, she had become slightly compassionate. Maybe it was seeing kids kill each other each year.

The group watched as the hovercrafts left and Lilith walked away catching a small piece of Katniss and Gale's argument.

Cheering came from the large group by the window and Lilith looked over to see the mountain falling.

Author's Note

Hello, lovelies. This book has come from its brief hiatus and will be published once more every Friday. Please read my other books if you like Klaus Mikaelson, Steve Rogers or Reborn stories. Please follow my Pinterest (which is in the banner below) as I post all my aesthetics there.

Anyway, thank you for reading.