29.

THE team trudged through the desolate Capitol quietly. Smoke rose in the air from the destructive bombs that had landed and rubble littered the ground.

"I've never seen this place so empty," Katniss muttered.

"Just keep your eyes open," Boggs advised as he waved the Holo around.

Explosions sounded in the distance and birds cawed loudly. The deafening silence afterwards reminded Lilith that this was deathly serious and most likely they were going to die in this war.

The Holo's beeping intensified and Boggs signalled for them to slow to a stop. He pointed at a building, "Got a pod. Stay covered."

They jogged around a large, and now broken, statue that Lilith thought was ridiculous to put in the middle of a city.

"Shoot through those two buildings," Boggs pointed. Katniss and the camera crew started to set up and Lilith whispered to Finnick.

"You do realise we're not doing anything? Right?"

"Yeah so?"

"I mean we're just protection detail. Coin could have left us alone but yet she made us come out here. We could have been on our honeymoon, but no. We have to protect the Mockingjay and people," she complained.

"Are you saying she wanted us out here?" Finnick questioned.

"Of course I am. I don't know what that woman's deal is but I am going to figure it out. It's like she wants us dead," Lilith admitted.

Finnick looked thoughtful as flames erupted in front of them. They looked over as a truck was flipped.

"All clear," Boggs stated. Lilith looked at Finnick as they walked on.

☾☾☾☾☾☾

They had taken cover in an abandoned building. Lilith didn't know exactly what they were waiting for but she said nothing.

A truck engine revved and they stood alert.

"Is that Peacekeepers?" Gale asked.

"Well if it is I'm going to have a field day with those assholes," Lilith muttered as she drew her katanas from their holders. She was still bitter about her kidnapping.

Lieutenant Jackson spoke into a radio, "451 base, we've got a truck coming in from the South, over. Copy that. Over. Stand down, everyone. It's friendly." The group exited the building as the truck pulled up.

A guard stepped out and rounded around the back. He opened the door and another guard stepped out. Katniss stiffened as Peeta came out with him. Lilith stayed quiet as he muttered. Katniss drew an arrow and pointed at him as he approached.

"Ok, stop. Hold up," Lilith spoke going forward.

"Everybody relax," Finnick added.

"What are we doing?" Gale asked.

Boggs turned, "Jackson cuff him." The man walked off and the commander approached the couple and the boy.

"Soldier this is just a precaution," the woman spoke carefully as she showed him the cuffs. Peeta nodded, "Until we get everything straightened out, yeah?"

"Yeah," Peeta mumbled softly. The commander slipped on the cuffs and the group retreated back inside.

Lilith sat with her back to Finnick's chest and she traced light patterns on his leg.

Boggs had contacted the broken district and was now walking back to where the group sat, "They want us to add him to the propo, show that he's on our side now. We'll move forward a few blocks tomorrow and shoot eh new footage."

"He's not in control of himself," Gale commented.

"I say we schedule an around the clock watch on him," Commander Jackson suggested, "The Leegs till 17:00. Homes and Mitchell till 19:00."

"Give me a watch," Katniss said. They alllooked at her shocked.

"And if it really came down to it, you think you can shoot him?" Jackson asked with an underlying tone of doubt.

"I wouldn't be shooting Peeta. I'd be killing a Capitol mutt," she answered bitterly. Lilith let out a quiet scoff causing Finnick to nudge her.

"I'm not sure that kind of comment recommends you for the job either soldier," Jackson expressed.

"Put her in the rotation," Boggs ordered. The man walked out of the building, with Katniss following and Lilith looked at Finnick.

"I'm just glad they didn't ask us to do it," she snickered.

"You are getting quite lazy," Finnick teased.

"I'm getting old. Like Jackson. I see why he's so lazy now," Lilith chuckled. He smiled and kissed her lips gently.