30.

THE next day, the group moved once more. Finnick walked with Peeta and was telling him what to say.

They walked into a courtyard and Cressida stopped them, "Boggs, this is a good spot. Through there in the courtyard."

"Ok, let us clear it," Boggs said. They descended the steps and the Holo's beeping intensified. They slowed to a stop once more, "Got a pod. Split. Take cover."

Lilith walked to one side.

"Stay back," Boggs threw a rock into the open hallway and rapid gunfire started as guns blasted through the wall. The structure in front of them crubled to the ground after being hit so many times and the fire ceased.

"All clear, Gale, Holmes, with me," Boggs ordered, "Leegs take the wings." They did as asked and stepped forward.

Lilith looked down at Peeta as he started muttering, incoherent words. A bomb exploded and Katniss ran out of her hiding place.

"Everdeen no!" The Lieutenant yelled, "Hold your position."

The group stayed back as Katniss went towards the leader.

One of the Leegs was groaning on the ground and the other stood and advanced. A clicking activated and the stone she stood one descended into the ground.

The large gates in front of them rolled shut as did the ones behind. A sloshing sound echoed out and they ran.

"This way!" A shout rang out.

They followed the man as the black sludge flowed through the courtyard.

Peeta threw Katniss to the ground and Mitchell went over to help before Peeta pushed him into the liquid. A slicing sound rang out and the man was strung up in the air.

Finnick held Peeta back.

"Let's go! Come on, come on, gotta move!" Gale shouted.

"Get inside," Jackson said as she shot the glass of a building.

"Everyone inside! Go!" Holmes instructed. They ran into the building and up the stairs.

"Keep moving to the top!" Jackson ordered.

"There's no more stairs!" Lilith yelled back. Finnick gave Peeta a sedative to calm him. The goo came up higher but slower.

"It's slowing down," Jackson observed.

It squelched before descending.

"The gamemakers are still putting on quite a show," Lilith chuckled bitterly.

Jackson raised her radio, "451 to base over."

"Hey, we'd better move. If Peacekeepers didn't know where we were they do now," Finnick said.

"Those surveillance cameras caught us," Gale added.

"451 to base, come in," Jackson tried.

"This is a bad spot. We need to move now," Lilith said.

"451 to base, over. I can't get a signal, but I can get us back to base. Everdeen, give me the Holo." Katniss just looked at her, "Everdeen, what did I just say, the Holo. Come on, let's go."

"Boggs gave it to me," Katniss replied.

"What are you talking about?" Jackson asked.

"He did. He transferred security clearance to her," Holmes admitted, "I saw him."

Jackson looked at Katniss suspiciously, "And why would he do that?"

"I'm on special orders from Coin," Katniss said.

"To do what?"

"To assassinate President Snow."

"I don't believe that for one second. And as your new unit commander, I order you to transfer security clearance to me now," Jackson said.

"I can't do that," Katniss shook her head. Jackson reached for her gun and Gale held up his crossbow.

"Let's not lose our heads here," Gale said as all weapons were raised at everyone.

"I'm not asking you again Everdeen," The Lieutenant said, "Give me that Holo."

Cressida stepped in, "She's telling the truth. Plutarch wants it televised. He thinks if we can film the Mockingjay assassinating Snow it'll make the Capitol surrender before the casualties get too high."

Lilith spoke up, "While you're arguing there's probably a hundred Peackeeprs on their way here."

Katniss lowered Gale's crossbow and looked at the woman, "Boggs promised me that when the time came you would help me."

The two stared at each other before the lieutenant lowered her weapon and nodded, "All right, soldier. Holo's yours."

Gale stepped on the stairs and nothing happened, "I don't think we're going to leave any footprints. We should move now. Those cameras outside should be covered up by the oil."

They looked down at the Leegs, "She can't move forward like this. Her leg is too bad. We have to evacuate her," Pollux informed, "I'm sorry."

"I'll stay with her," one of the Leegs said.

"As soon as we make contact, we'll send somebody back. I promise you," Jackson insisted, "All right everybody move out."

"Let's get him up," Finnick said, "Can you walk?" he asked the loopy Peeta. The boy didn't reply and Lilith threw his arm around her shoulders and helped him up.

They stepped out and walked across the courtyard, trying not to look at Mitchell's body.

"Come on this way," Gale led them towards another building. He smashed the glass and they entered, climbing the stairs and making themselves comfortable.