Chapter 31 - Unanswered Questions

In the last chapter, Aurelia wakes up in the doctor's room. Despite her families questioning, she denies knowing who the attacker was and in general any memories to the attack. However, they get suspicious seeing that the attacker had to get as close to inner a chip into her arm. Eventually, she brings her family to leave, while Cax refuses to and stays with her secretly.

Chapter 31 - Unanswered Questions

The air is suddenly rent by the sound of breaking glass. Other than a gunshot there is nothing that gets my attention sooner or heart accelerating faster. Instant adrenaline pumping through my body making my skin and fingers tingle.  In days gone by I would have assumed the an innocent origin to the sound - not anymore. Breaking glass almost never heralds anything good. Cax now is wide awake, looking at me but saying nothing. 

We listened and heard not a sound but I knew. We know.

We both search rescue, while a crack runs across the glass, finding the weaknesses that were once invisible. 

I wish I had a weapon.

Then like a coil suddenly relieved of something flies in and lies still yet vicious on the ground. Suddenly smoke evaporates from the object.

"Don't breath that in," I whisper yell at Cax.

"Obviously," he answer, a gun in his hands now.

"Do you have a second one?"

"No, go behind me," he says pulling me bind him, with his shirt over his nose as a filter.

My heart was beating so fast I could feel every inch of it. I was terrified out of my ever-loving mind because I do NOT have a weapon.

But suddenly everything stopped and it became as silent as in a grave. Insidious. Both waiting for an impact or any attack we do not dare to move.

"There is something lying on the ground," Cax whispers breaking the silent after some passed minutes.

I step forward to see what it is but Cax grabs me by my arm and pulls me back shaking his head.

"Cax," I whisper-yell demanding him to let go of me so I could look at the object that came in flying. He reluctantly let go off me.

It is a square object, a smoke bomb as I suspected, but on it was a piece of paper. I unfold it reading a:

'I warned you'

-kisses C

"Warned you? Of what?" I flinch realizing that Cax was standing behind me reading the piece of paper over my shoulder.

"Scared me much," I answer instead. He lays his arms around me Ina smoothing way. 

"Who is the message from and what did this person warned you of?" he whispers in my ear.

"Whispering in my ear won't bring you the answer either," I lie. If he continues like that I would tell him anything. Where is my willpower?

"We both know that's not true," he whispers in a low tone.

"Stop it."

Help me. Ether get the greek god from me. Fuck it. Don't interrupt him.

"Tell me then," he states kissing around my ear.

"That's what he warned me off," I blurt out frustrated.

"That?" he stops confused.

"Just let us go to the gym, before anyone comes in and thought I got attacked," I say putting the paper in my night grown.