Chapter 46 - Negotiations under Enemies

In the last chapter, Aurelia woke up after the ball. night with Cax next to her. She tells her family that she got drugged and everyone around her is utterly concerned about her. Additionally, she gets a package from Charles. Eventually, the dons inform their children about the upcoming negotiations with the enemy.

Chapter 46 - Negotiations under Enemies

Our fears can be triggered by real threats and by memories of threats. Humans find it challenging to unlearn fears. Thus when we realize that we are scared we must ask ourselves how real the threat is or if we have begun to generalize fear and seek evidence to cement it rather than challenge it. If after analysis you find the threat to have real force and impact, take action to protect yourself, to protect those you love as well as call in allies for support.

However, masking fear was a survival essential in the world I live in. So much that I don't feel fear as others apparently do. I process it differently, not letting the more primitive brain do the choice-making. Some things we are born with, but this some kind of adjustments I guess. While it causes the same reaction to my brain and body the same as others, I chose to react differently.

This meeting rises the anxiety in every bone, making my anxious for what will happen. Charles doesn't negotiate with anyone. He sure as hell didn't come here to do so. There is something behind it. And it frightens me to find out what it is.

I simply do not understand why I have to participate at that thing. Normally, only heirs and the dons are required to sit at the big boys table. And I am neither, nor I thrive to be. I have already too much as stress as it is.

I walk to the gold mirror in my room to check my outfit for the last time. I wear a white body con dress, wearing white loboutins with my hair straightened. I almost look like a perfect little angel, in this attire. When did I had to become the woman in the mirror?

It sounds silly, but it feels like yesterday I was sneaking out with Ceph to go to clubs, and now I became a playing pun in a war I cannot win.

I flinch, when I hear my room door open with a loud squeak. Instead of turning around, I watch Ceph enter the room through the mirror. He takes in my attire for a long time. Can he see it too? How much I had to change to survive in this world?

"Are you ready?" he asks.

"Will I ever be?" I ask in an ironic voice, but turn around and walk towards the door. Before, I pass him, he grabs my hand, "I will never leave your side. Besides, you were born ready," he adds the last part in an amused tone. He is always there, making me feel better.

We walked down the stairwell to the first floor, where the conference room was located. The whole house was full with security people, embellishing every corner with heavy artery.

That won't stop Charles. Thy shouldn't let him in the house in the first place.

The hallways seem to get smaller with every step closer to the conference room. And there, at the end of the hallway is the devil with his little demons. As if they sensed my appearance, they turned around on an instant. A big evil smile building on the devil's face.

It looks so absurd, so false on his face. You know when a clown smiles, his smile is comparable to that.

"Aurelia," he exclaims demanding me to come closer. Instead, I stop, wanting to create more space between us. Noticing the barrier he speaks up again with an amusement underlining his tone, "Did you become shy overnight?"

He is just trying to mock me.

But instead of giving that any attention, I keep my face still and emotionless. Forcing my feet to move again, I walk towards the monster that hunts me. The monster I want to run away from, but seem to always run into his arms.