One

Imani

March 12th, 2021

I woke up to the sound of drums banging and I screamed. Throwing myself out of bed I went downstairs to the lowest level in my house and kicked open the door to the music room.

"Daveon, really? It's six in the morning? You know I have a photoshoot today?" I expressed. He was still banging the drums on Guitar Hero and I rested my hands on my hips. "Daveon Parker!"

He was ignoring me, like always. I threw pillows his way and he just threw them back. I screamed before slamming the door and marching upstairs. My phone started ringing and it was Vic.

"Hello." I groaned.

"Wow. Awake before eight o'clock? He was playing Guitar Hero again, huh." My best friend replied.

"Girl. You have no idea. I tell him about my meetings, photoshoots, studio sessions and it's like he doesn't care." I vented. "I just want to be happy."

"I thought you were. I mean I know you in real life but online y'all look like the cutest couple. Which I've expressed to you is not ideal, for him maybe but not the Imani I know. You hate social media but all of a sudden Daveon in the picture you posting 24/7." She paused for a moment and I heard Hazel in the background. "- is killing you on the inside. I need you to find yourself again, love because we won't let him dim the light inside."

I sighed before grabbing a smoothie out of the fridge. "You're right. It's been 5 years since the accident and I still haven't-"

"No, Imani.. do not put that pressure on yourself! You are one of the most successful black women I know and Diamontè and I say the same thing- you work too hard and too much and you need to focus on you. Go on vacation. Drop that man and dip!"

I sipped my smoothie and closed the top on my bottle. I closed my eyes and nodded. "You're right. This isn't what my mother meant. There is still time and maybe there's another way."

"See, there you go. Now delete Tinder." Her voice whispered causing me to laugh. I went ahead and deleted the app.

"Thank you Vic. You are the greatest." I spoke.

"Stop it. I love you okay. Text me if you need me. I just got Hazel down so I'm gonna try and take a quick nap." She responded.

"Okay. I am going to stop by later to give her the gifts." I said.

"Stop spoiling her!" The new mom whispered harshly.

"No." I said hanging up. I sighed before going upstairs to change into my workout clothes. Ten minutes go by and I change into the leggings from my lounge line and Jordyn's waist trainer along with Vic's Jaguar shirt.

Support Black Businesses

I was looking for my workout pack and I checked in the kitchen. I grabbed my keys and smoothie going to head out and Daveon walked up behind me.

"Where you going?" He questioned. I rolled my eyes before turning around.

"Working out before my day, I told you this a routine." I reminded. He stared at me unconvinced.

"Well, women lie." He replied. I stared at him in disbelief.

"Why would I lie about working out?" I questioned, folding my arms.

"Because you're a woman." He stated. I pulled a face before opening the door.

"When I get back you and your lame ass Guitar Hero needs to get the hell out of my house. Your vibe is trash and I am reinventing myself. You got 20 minutes before my security gets here." I warned before slamming the door in his face.