Seven

Imani

I woke up to the smell of French Toast and sausage. My door opened slowly as I seen Dylan with a tray of food and a goofy smile.

"I know what you're thinking. It's nine o'clock at night, why'd I cook you breakfast? Because I know it's your favorite meal and you'd eat it whenever." He sat the tray in front of me and I analyzed it.

There was french toast sticks, sausage, eggs and a side of syrup. I side eyed him before taking the fork and breaking off a piece of toast.

"Thank you Dylan, for the apology/ wake up meal." I mentioned. He shook his head and turned on the Fairly Odd Parents.

"I am forever in your debt, milady." He responded with a grin. I lightly shoved him while watching the Friday the thirteenth episode. A few minutes had passed and we sat in silence, while I ate.

"What would you say if I told you I liked someone?" He blurted, my head tilted and I stayed still for a moment.

"I would say go for it. You haven't been in a relationship in a while and I'm sure you can provide financially." I answered, truthfully. "I doubt she'll care about your Mets addiction, so any woman that will tolerate that is worth keeping." I finished my meal, picked up the tray and walked out of my room.

Okay, yes I did feel hurt because he liked someone else. I do have a feeling it could be me, but every time I get my hopes up I trigger my depression. I know I have said I don't like him and I don't.

I love him and that's why I am scared. I am glad he likes someone else so I can protect my heart and soul.

The feeling of rejection and not being enough overwhelms me to the point where I feel clustered and claustrophobic.

In the kitchen, I cleaned off the tray and placed it back in my cabinet. I heard him walk downstairs and I just minded my own thoughts while rinsing the dishes.

I felt him walk near me, but kept a distance. "I'm not upset Dylan. I'm happy for you." Turning off the water, I wiped my hands with a dry rag and tidied the lower cabinet.

I turned around and accidentally made eye contact. My eyes quickly averted as I made my way to the refrigerator and opened my bottle of Stella Rose, the black edition. They were out of the regular sized bottles, so all I had was the big bottles.

I poured my glass up to the rim, feeling Dylan's eyes analyzing my every move. I grabbed my glass and walked over to the tv. I turned on The American Dragon, Jake Long. I was sipping away at my wine until I felt my couch dip.

"Imani." He breathed. "I-" I started laughing at the events taking placd in the show.

"Look, look! He's getting whooped by a girl." I cheered, he forced a smile and nodded.

"Yeah, that's so weird because he's in dragon form." Dylan responded, playing along. I finished the rest of my wine and got up for round two.

Thirty minutes passed, I was five wine glasses deep, just laughing at anything. I had turned off Jake Long to start watching After by Anna Todd.

I read the book and I had never seen the movie. I was internally torturing Dylan because corny things bug him. He was trying not wince everytime Hardin spoke. He turned towards me and paused it.

"Seriously, who does this guy think he is? Yes, we get it you have daddy issues, don't take it out on someone you just met!" The man ranted. I was giggling away and then minutes passed and we were on the sex scene. "Oh, God."

I burst out laughing and he glared at me. "White people sex scenes, I don't know man, where's the flavor?" I commented. "No offense, but with my people you can tell we getting our shit wrecked. With your people, the guys for sure enjoy it, but the girls be wanting more."

Dylan turned to me intrigued. "More like what."

"I'm pretty sure, you know. You dated and had sex with one." I reminded. He threw me an uncertain look.

"Being choked, dominated, hair pulled, keep going even though we run away.." I listed, causing the man next to me, eyes to grow wide. "Excitement, white men lack, excitement."

He nodded before pausing the movie. I looked at him in disbelief. "Dyl, what are you doing?"

He leaned in and kissed me. "Going for it." I kissed back accordingly and I felt the stars align from me to my underwear.

"Dylan we can't do this!" I say snapping us back into reality. He looked at me for more information and I sighed. "You like someone else." He rolled his eyes because of my denial.

"I like you, Imani. Since first grade it's always been you, but you've never been into me. I thought I was never enough for you, so in high school I gave up. When you danced and I just watched. When you went to homecoming with Darnell and I broke his nose because I saw him slapping other girls on the ass." My best friend of twenty years vented. He took a deep breath before holding my hand gently. "The situation with Britt and how much better of a person you were than her."

"I know it took me a while to reach out to you, but I will spend the rest of both our lives, our kids lives, their kids lives. Imani, I am in love with you. It took a whole month but I can't help my feelings for you. I know you just needed a friend-" He paused when my hand held his face.

I just kissed him, maybe it was the wine. It was what we both needed. The kiss grew steamier and I took off his shirt. We never left contact as his hands felt on my back tugging my oversized shirt. Both of our shirts were off and se continued to kiss. I pulled away to climb onto his lap, feeling the bulge in his pants.

I slowly rubbed my hand over his pants, to the bulge and I heard him inhale sharply. I started grinding on him and kissing his neck.

He grabbed my waist and carried me towards the stairs, both of us were under the influence, so we were extremely clumsy. We laid out on the stairs and glared at each other and then I remembered.

Kaya.

I felt so stupid and I ran away from him and locked my bedroom door.

He was knocking away and I just hid my head under the pillow, until I fell asleep.

______________