Chapter 21

Disclaimer: The legal advice given in this chapter is not accurate and only fits the fictional narrative of this story.

-▪︎¤■¤▪︎-

EZRA ▪︎ POV 

Ollie woke up early the next morning, his short cries for attention hefting me up and out of bed just as the sun began to rise and light shone through the curtains on the windows. He was in my arms, his little hands gripping the sides of my neck moments later and I tiredly trudged into the kitchen to make us both a meal. 

I pawed through the cupboards and the open fridge, noting that grocery shopping needed to be added to my lengthy list of tasks to complete. We'd been at Evan's for almost four days and the food was either going bad or non existent. I managed to whip up the last two eggs into scrambles for Ollie along with a slice of toast. 

He ate dutifully, clumsily stabbing his eggs with his little fork and smearing bread crumbs around his little smacking lips. I watched him fondly, running my fingers through his curls. The bright blonde ringlets began to droop as they grew in length, giving him an almost wild appearance. It was cute for now, but he needed a haircut eventually. 

Those perceptive green eyes watched me right back and I gave him a small smile of reassurance. It was easy to smile around him, my son just had that easy effect on me. Ollie offered me a messy scoop of eggs and I ate it, leaning forward as I did so. "Thank you, baby." He nodded, pink cheeked and looked back down at his plate. 

I fixed him a cup of apple juice and made myself a much needed mug of steaming black coffee. Sipping slowly, I scrolled through my phone, checking my work emails and personal messages. Jae probably wouldn't be awake, but I sent him a quick text anyway, checking in. He'd had to work and I'd never thought about it too deeply before but the night shifts made me anxious. I wanted to be sure he got home safely. I wanted him to know I cared. 

Shutting off my phone, I slipped it into the pocket of my sweatpants, just as Ollie finished up. I washed the dishes, cleaning the kitchen to the best of my abilities and then took Ollie upstairs into my bedroom so I could watch him play while I got ready for work. He sat on the carpet, surrounded by small toys and I put the television on behind him, switching to Nick Junior just in time to catch Paw Patrol. 

While he was distracted, I drifted in and out of the en-suite bathroom, showering with the door open, shaving my scruffy stubble away, brushing my teeth and slapping at my face with aftershave. When I finally looked decent and not like I'd spent the past few days at war with the world, I went back out to Ollie and pulled on my slacks and an ironed white shirt. I left the tie and suit jacket in my closet. Today wasn't that kind of day. 

"Daddy, Rubble fell over!" Ollie pointed at the screen on the wall as I passed him and I spared it a quick glance for his sake before humming with a nod and a wide grin. Satisfied with my temporary attention, Ollie went back to watching the show, his little fingers moving the toys at his bare feet. I continued on, packing my work bag, making sure my laptop and notepads where inside. Finally, it was time to leave. 

I gave Ollie a warning before turning off the television and scooping him up. "Daddy's gotta go to work, baby. Be a good boy, I'll see you later," I murmured, kissing his plump cheek as I brought him to Renee's room. I didn't want to leave him, but until I figured out a new schedule with Jae and Evan, he'd have to spend time with his mom like usual. There was no way I was contacting my parents. 

I knocked once, before pushing Renee's door open and entering the master bedroom. The curtains were open and she was sat up on the bed, awake, legs crossed in casual lounge clothes. She looked up from her phone, unsurprised to see me, but didn't say anything as she held her hands out for Ollie. I passed him over and he didn't protest, quickly adjusting to his mom and settling in her lap. He looked up at her, smiling and she grinned, pecking his little nose.