Chapter 14

JAE ▪︎ POV

Smack!

I yelped loudly, curling up against the front door with my arms raised to cover my head. "Mom!"

The rolled up newspaper swung again, connecting with my stomach and making a loud thwacking sound ring out around the hall. I was trying not to laugh at the fierce glare my small mother had on her face as she beat me. "What did I do?!"

"Why do I have to find out from Aerin's parents that you went on a date at their restaurant with a good looking white man? Why didn't you tell me you were seeing someone?!" Smack!

"Going on a date doesn't mean I'm seeing someone seriously!" I cried out, dodging her outstretched arm. "Why are you listening to gossip about the good looking white man?!"

"So you're not in a serious relationship?" She paused, titling her head, her perfectly styled, black bob of hair flopping to the side.

"Ummmm, yes, yes I am," I chuckled, squealing when she jabbed me with the paper like a spear. "You wanna meet him?!"

"Yes." Then she spun around and stomped away, leaving me ruffled and attacked, giggling on the floor. That was all she wanted, jealous that Aerin's parent's had gotten a good look at Ezra before she had. Moms. I rolled my eyes, tugging off my shoes and coat before skipping down the hall to find my dad.

He was in the living room, a stack of crinkled papers on the coffee table in front of him where he sat cross legged on the floor. My father looked up, pushing his square glasses up his nose. "Jaemin," he greeted me, patting my back when I sat beside him.

"Hey dad, what're you doing?" I asked, spying the printed words on the papers. Water bills and insurance, rent and visas.

"Paperwork," he hummed, rubbing his slightly stubble jaw. "I have to file these and make sure everything is paid before we leave. I'm not a man who'll allow debts to ruin this family. You shouldn't be to."

I nodded, rubbing my knees. Once I was old enough to start providing for myself, they made it very clear the importance of keeping debts to a minimum. I bought what I could, when I knew I could afford it. I kept up to date religiously with my payments and dad always made it clear that if I ever got into trouble, I needed to swallow my pride, tell him and he'd help me out before it grew into something bigger and out of control than it needed to be.

"Let me help you," I offered and he smiled, showing me the different folders he had been sorting into. Mostly everything had been paid years ago, but he kept the documentation as proof regardless. There were a few stray payments here and there that dad spent the day taking care of and I could tell he felt more at ease and calmer as we went through and organised everything.

Mom joined us in the living room, carefully wrapping her ornaments and china plating in newspaper before placing them in cardboard boxes. There were already a few lining the back wall beside the TV. We made small talk about what they planned on doing when they left. They promised to call often, send me pictures and gifts from our motherland. It was something I guess... but it wouldn't be the same as having them near. 

"Tell me about the man you're seeing," mom demanded, placing a bowl of black bean noodles and chopsticks down on the coffee table in front of me. I thanked her, picking up the wooden sticks and stirring the hot noodles around the bowl. 

"His name is Ezra, he's a business man," I hummed around a mouthful of food. I crossed my legs, staring at her and smiling. "I met him at work." 

She pursed her lips, obviously feeling conflicted. Being a business man meant he had a somewhat respectable career, right? But I met him at the club. Maybe he's a trouble maker just like her son. I inwardly chuckled. She'd have a heart attack if I admitted I'd taken him home drunk to fuck me the first night we met. Oh, the horror