Chapter 6

EZRA ▪︎ POV

I knocked on my older brother's front door repeatedly with a heavy fist, knowing that two in the morning was an unreasonable hour to be here, but not caring at all. I needed his advice, but more then that, I needed his comfort.

I'd managed to get out of the house after going through a painful dinner with Renee. I couldn't eat, using my fork to push the pasta around with nausea churning my stomach. She'd been cheerful as she fed Ollie, talking my ear off as though nothing had ever occurred between us. My contempt for her was fostering and I knew I had to get out of the house before I did something terrible - like hurt her for real.

All I could think about was how trapped I felt, how her manipulative games were keeping me chained up in my own home like a mere toy. I kept thinking that there was no way out, not without losing Ollie in the end. The thought was so painful, it felt like daggers piercing through my heart. In those moments, Jae was pushed to that back of my mind as Renee's unexplainable bruises and accusations plagued my thoughts.

Finally the door to Evan's condo flew open and my brother stood there in only his boxers, his eyes squinting, his hair ruffled with sleep. "Ezra? Why-"

I stepped up to him and pressed my face against his neck, wrapping my arms around his waist with a shaky, broken breath of air. He immeadiaty wrapped his thick arms around my back, holding me tightly and just for a second, I believed everything could be okay.

"Hey, what's the matter Ezra?" His voice was more serious, more alert as he stepped backwards and pulled me inside. I forced myself to let go of him as he closed the door, but the moment he led me over to the couch, I sat as close as possible and pressed myself against him again.

Evan's grey eyes searched mine with concern, but it didn't take much persuasion for me to spill everything. By the time I was done, I was no longer pissed off. I just felt numb and so fucking exhausted.

"That bitch," Evan snarled, sitting up and turning to face me. "You're not giving up right? You're going to fight."

I gave him a helpless look. "Didn't you hear? If she goes to the police and tells them I hit her, I could face charges and not only that but I won't have a chance at getting visitation with Ollie. Do you know how fucked up that is? I have to go to court to see my own fucking son!"

Evan shook his head fiercely. "They can't charge you if they don't have proof," he grunted. "I bet it was makeup. She's fucking sneaky, I'll give her that."

I held up my swollen hand and gave him a blank stare. "I lost my temper and punched the wall Ev. She shows the bruises - which looked pretty fucking real to me, they ask about my hand and put two and two together, I'm fucked."

Evan's face turned red and his eyes narrowed to slits as he growled. "She can't get away with this. Fuck that." He stood up, but I grabbed his wrist.

"Where are you going?"

"We need to get you a good family lawyer. Someone who knows how to deal with people like Renee. It'll be costly but fuck, I can pitch in if I need to. We can't let her do this. That's my nephew anyway." Evan's posture was tense, his words firm and determined and I tried to latch onto his strength. But fear held me back.

"I can't," I hissed. "It's to risky and-"

"So what? You're gonna let her cart you around like her little bitch Ez? Seriously?" Now his anger was directed at me, his voice harsh. I stood up, tense, my blood heating once more.

"You think I want to?! You think if I had a clear choice, I'd still be in that fucking house acting like her little show pony?!" I clenched my fists, ignoring the pain that shot up my injured arm. "I'm so fucking miserable that if it weren't for Ollie, I'd have offed myself already! But I can't. If I lose him, then I loose everything. I divorce her then I have to deal with court, I have to deal with my parents, her parents!"