Chapter 10

A/N: Double update, read chapter 9 first! 👍🏾

JAE ▪︎ POV

"Ezra?"

The man on the bar stool swivelled around with a wide grin. "Who's that?" Evan's bright grey eyes were playful as he looked me up and down.

"Shit, sorry, you guys really look like twins from behind," I was quick to apologise with a shake of my head, feeling sheepish as I rubbed the back of my neck. As delighted as I was to see Evan in the club, I was hoping it would be Ezra. I was kind of nervous about meeting Ollie tomorrow and wanted some reassurances.

Of course I could call him over the phone, but my shift didn't finish until half one and I didn't want to disturb him with my obsessive worrying. I mean... two year olds weren't scary. I had nothing to worry about. Right?

"How are you darlin'?" Evan asked, patting the bar stool next to him. He was alone, a pint of beer on the bar counter in front of him. I wondered where Ezra was, but I didn't ask, knowing he had other responsibilities and probably wouldn't be free on a random Tuesday night to go clubbing.

I looked around, making sure that I wasn't needed elsewhere inside the club before hopping up next to him.

"Stressed! Your nephew, help me out! How can I win him over?!" I clasped my hands desperately together, begging with my eyes and Evan snorted a laugh.

"I mean... he hates strangers. Anyone he doesn't know tries to get near him, and he cries. I mean, sobbing, screaming, the absolute terror-"

My heart plummeted and I fought the wave of nausea that splashed about the bile in my stomach. Oh my god, I'm a fucking stranger!

Evan laughed louder at the absolute horror on my face. I scowled, barely resisting the urge I had to shove him. "It's not funny, I'm being serious!"

"Nah, I'm joking. Ollie is probably one of the most chilled out babies I know. Which, doesn't mean much since he's the only baby I know. But that's not the point. He might be a little shy, but don't worry. If he knows Ezra's alright with you, then he'll warm up. He doesn't talk much, so don't misread his silence as him being scared or anything. He's just... chill," Evan shrugged, patting me on the shoulder.

"Get him a present or something. He likes that doctor on Disney Junior. The one with the weird name. McStocking or something?" He stroked his shaven jaw as if trying to recall the character and I mentally took notes.

I was personally more of a DreamWorks kid when I was growing up, but to each their own. I could get him a present or something related to his favourite show. Surely that would win me points. I wanted Ollie to like me and I wanted Ezra to know that I accepted his baby and was making an effort with them both. I wanted to make him happy, as mushy as it sounded.

I mean, the best way to appeal to your partner who's already a parent? Win over their kid! Every brownie point counts!

"Thanks," I told Evan gratefully, blowing out a breath of air and he gave me a wide smile of reassurance in return.

"I'm glad you asked, it shows you care. By the way, Ezra really likes you, otherwise he wouldn't let you near his kid. That being said, hurt my baby brother and I'll kill you," he threatened with the brightest, sing-song voice, but his intense grey eyes let me know that he was being deadly serious.

I chuckled with an agreed nod, trying to hide the delight I felt at his confession of Ezra's feelings for me. "Wouldn't expect anything different."

I went to hop off the bar stool, needing to return to work before my shift manager caught me standing around chatting like there was nothing to do. They were always assholes about 'looking lazy, because there's always a drink to be poured or a table to clean'. Internal eye roll.