Chapter 30

JAE • POV

I didn't get to Jeremiah as quickly as I'd have liked, but all the yelling and money in the world couldn't convince the unfortunate taxi driver I'd ambushed, to hit the gas pedal like this was a grand theft auto simulation.

Ten minutes after leaving a manic Ezra and a freaking out Evan, the taxi driver pulled up alongside Evan's abandoned car parked on the side of the highway. I chucked a wad of cash through the sliding glass separating him from me, and then threw myself out of the back door, running urgently across the grass the remaining few meters to Jeremiah.

When I reached the driver's side door and pulled it open, Jeremiah was there, sitting in the seat, his eyes closed, his head tilted limply back against the headrest. "Holy shit!" I couldn't help but exclaim, horrified at the sight of all the blood.

It was gushing from his temple, caking the side of his quickly swelling face with thick, dark red blood. The liquid was staining his locs and the leather seats, and then my hands when I pressed one against the wound and used the other to gently shake him awake.

"Jerry, babe, shit, open your eyes, talk to me!" I called loudly, looking around for something I could fashion into a tourniquet. Jeremiah groaned, but his eyes fluttered open, blinking slowly at first and then more rapidly as he seemed to become more aware of his surroundings.

I yanked the glove box in front of him open, almost ripping it off its hinges, causing random objects to roll and clatter together. There had to be napkins in there at least! There was no way Evan wasn't the type of down to earth rich guy who collected napkins and sauce sachets from fast food chains, even if he was loaded with money!

Yes! I knew he wouldn't let me down! I grabbed a wad of crumpled napkins, pressing them against Jeremiah's temple, grabbing his floppy hand and pressing it there. "Hold this here babe! I'm gonna drive you to the hospital! If you die, I'll be very, very disappointed in you and you don't want that, do you?! Hmm?! Stay alive please!" I begged, trying to use humor, although I was shaking with adrenaline and fear.

The absolute absurdity and terror of the situation was getting to me, but I knew I wouldn't be of any help to Ezra or Jeremiah if I let it take over. I felt as though I'd been transported into a Hollywood action movie and was now the main character having to hold everything together.

This was either my amazing debut where I saved my friend and the stolen baby. Or my downfall, where the stress took over and I failed the mission only to be swamped with guilt for the rest of my miserable life, and die in an armchair with a cat and a sign that said 'sorry' fifty years later.

Yeah... no. I'm motherfucking Jaemin. I was about to make this plot line, my bitch.

"I'm not dying," Jeremiah moaned softly, but he managed to hold the napkins up to his head on his own, although his arms were shaking like weak noodles. The pressure wouldn't last very long so I needed to hurry. "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Let's go get Ollie, he... he was crying," Jeremiah's voice broke and I knew that if I looked over at my best friend, I'd see tears rolling over his brown skin, mixing with the blood.

I was on the verge of sobbing deliriously myself, but I had to be strong and determined right now. It was time to be that superhero dad I always saw Ezra being. I understood now, the need to push down your own fears and emotions in order to be the superhero for the ones you loved.

I scooped Jeremiah out of the driver's seat, gently but swiftly moving him around to the passenger side instead. I strapped him in, pulling his seatbelt securely over his waist. He was going to need it. Now that I was behind the wheel, I fully intended on doing what my taxi driver couldn't, traffic laws be damned.