Chapter 16

JAE ▪︎ POV

I was a pro at multitasking and I didn't waste my talent as I wiped down the bar while simultaneously keeping a watchful gaze on the drunk woman stumbling about on the packed dance floor. It wasn't an irregular sight on a random Wednesday night, but this girl was different. Instead of fooling about in tight friendship groups like most woman would, she was alone and completely off her face. I could see some other clubbers beginning to circle around her like vultures.

The brunette was short and curvy, dressed in a tight, red spaghetti strapped dress that barely covered her bum or her spilling breasts. She was swaying on her high heeled feet, off beat to the loud music pumping through the space. She was like a red neon sign screaming 'TROUBLE'.

When one young man came up behind her to grab her hips amongst the gyrating party goers, I got ready to go and save her, knowing that she wasn't in any fit state to be giving consent right now. It wasn't my business why she was so drunk or what she was doing here alone, but I always made sure to look out for the customers who came into the club. If something happened that could've been avoided, I'd never forgive myself.

"I'll be back, give me a second," I told Jeremiah before rushing out from behind the bar to save the drunken girl. Our bouncers didn't deal with things like this, it wasn't in their job description until there was an actual disturbance, but I always liked to think of myself as a man who went above and beyond for others. So, I barrelled my way through the crowd to rescue the poor woman.

"Hands off!" I smacked the large hands gripping the waist of the short girl with my cloth and he immeadiately let go, making her stumble and almost fall into my body. I wrapped my arm around her waist to steady her and gently lead her away, making sure my hands didn't come in direct contact with her skin. 

"Hey sweetheart, I'm Jae, I work here, come take a seat at the bar with me," I hummed in a non-threatening manner, slowly leading her over to a free bar stool. She looked up and smiled at me, her eyes cloudy and unfocused as she tripped over her own feet.

"Hello," she giggled with a slur, almost toppling over sideways when I helped her up onto the stool. "My name is Lauren. How do you do, sir?"

I chuckled, shooting Jeremiah a grateful wink when he placed a bottle of water down in front of us with a knowing shake of his head. "I'm fine, and you? Here alone?"

"You try'na pick me up, buttercup?" She hiccuped sceptically, waving her arms carelessly about as she rhymed her accusation. I leaned away, expertly dodging what would have been a smack to the face.

"Nope, I don't swing your way, honay. I'm asking if there's anyone you know who can take you home tonight," I told her, unscrewing the water bottle and passing it to her, motioning that she should drink it.

"Oh, you party pooper!" She wailed, pouting and rubbing her eyes, smearing mascara and eyeliner in a black streak down her face. "I don't wanna go home! My fiancé fucked my best friend, can you believe that?!" She was grinning as tears of pain came streaming from her wide brown eyes, rolling over her cheeks and dripping off her chin. "I'm moving on! Gotta go find someone to have sex with me! If he find's out I'm heartbroken, then he wins! He can't win!"

She swivelled around, loosing her balance and finally toppling sideways off the bar stool. The water spilt all over her lap and my arms shot out to catch her before she hit the floor. Ugh, poor girl.

"Lauren, I'm sorry to hear that, but I don't think now's the right time while you're so drunk. Do you have anyone you can trust to come and pick you up?" I asked, pulling her upright and putting the now half empty water bottle back on the countertop.