Chapter 28

JEREMIAH ▪︎ POV 

Ollie was the most beautiful baby I had ever had in my presence. The way he was so preciously looked after, the way he was so aggressively loved, the way he brightly smiled. All of it was simply beautiful. I remembered all the children I'd ever known, mostly in states of abuse or poverty. If all the children I'd ever met looked as beautiful as Ollie, the world would truly be a better place. 

The two year old was sat on top of the counter in Evan's grand bathroom and he was smiling, one little hand wrapped around my hair, the other clutching a rubber duck - one of many rubber ducks Evan had kept for him. I washed his face gently with a wet cloth, wiping away breakfast and the dampness of sweat he'd woken up in. I caressed his pink cheeks, his pale skin and his hairline where bright, golden curls sprouted. 

Ollie's big green eyes never left mine, and I felt grounded as I stared back, smiling, unable to help myself. He didn't say anything, something I had come to expect. He didn't speak much unless he was around his father or Jae now, but it was okay because the silence was comfortable. I didn't like talking much either. 

I cleaned him up the best I could, dressing him in a fresh diaper. I'd had to learn how to take care of a baby once I'd started dating Evan and realised how involved he was in his nephew's life. Honestly, knowing that Jae and Evan trusted me enough to look after him for them, was an honour. At one point in time, I couldn't be trusted with my own life let alone another defenceless  human being. But I was better now and I was confident that Ollie was well taken care of with me.   

When Ollie gave my hair a good tug, I blinked quickly, giving him my full attention again. He kept tugging until my face was only inches away from his own. He smelt like lavender and baby powder and the sweet porridge he'd eaten for breakfast. "What?" I smiled and he babbled a little, puckering his chubby lips for a kiss. I giggled, giving him a peck on the cheek. 

"He's still going?" Evan's deep, velvet smooth voice interrupted the moment and I glanced over my shoulder the best I could with Ollie tugging on my hair. Evan was only in a pair of low slung designer boxers, that athletic build of muscles and smooth skin leant up against the door way. His dark grey eyes were sparkling. 

I looked away, quickly hiding my blush, even if my dark skin completely hid the heat rising up my cheeks. He was so gorgeous, so godlike, that even looking at him sometimes was hard. I'd never received so much attention from a man before, let alone a man who looked like Evan. Like someone had carved him out of stone and had been generous in every sense of the word. Our whole relationship still seemed... unreal

"I think he's just... getting used to me," I said softly, honestly not really sure why Ollie clung the way he did other than theorising that it was because well... I looked a lot different to everyone else in his family. To his curious little brain, I was probably a spectacle. One he liked to kiss apparently, which wasn't so bad. I could hardly complain. When Ollie's clumsy little fingers ran over the gold septum piercing hanging from my nose, it only confirmed the curiosity. 

Evan moved closer and I inhaled sharply when he pressed himself up against my back. Ollie seemed to feel threatened by this move. He glared at his uncle, giving my locks a good yank. "Mine." 

I untangled his little hand with a flustered laugh. What was with these possessive Carter boys? 

"Mine," Evan parroted just as childishly, wrapping a strong arm around my waist and one across my shoulders, pulling me close and trailing kisses up my neck. "I had him first, princess. I'll share, but you gotta stop." Ollie huffed, seemed to debate bouncing his duck off Evan's forehead, but decided against that, turning away from us both and finding interest in turning on the sink taps. I wrapped my hand around the hot water tap to stop him from turning that one and peered up at Evan.