Chapter 19

JAE ▪︎ POV

It was like a flip had been switched and the peace, fun and laughter of the early morning had been washed away in mere seconds. Ollie sat quietly in my lap, his little fingers curling into my shirt as he sucked hard on his pacifier. His green eyes were wide and confused, tear tracks marring his pretty face from his startled tears. 

That look made my heart fall, knowing that he had been so happy just moments before. I wiped his cheeks and offered him what I hoped was a comforting smile. Everything would be okay, he had to know that. But when Ollie looked back at Ezra, who had risen from the bed with a thunderous expression on his face as he tugged on a pair of sweatpants, Ollie simply whimpered again. 

"What do you need me to do, Ezra?" I asked him softly and he looked up, his own green eyes clouded over once more with anger and exhaustion. I would go out there with him if he wanted me to, or I could stay here and look after Ollie if that's what he needed. Anything

Ezra sighed, running his hand down his face, looking torn. He wasn't wearing a shirt and under any other circumstances, I would've taken the opportunity to admire his sexy muscles. However, the way his shoulders tensed and his neck pulsed in agitation wasn't attractive at all. It was simply saddening. "Wait here with him please. I don't want him out there just yet and he doesn't need to see or hear all of this." 

I nodded, standing up from the bed too and settling Ollie on my hip. Renee was yelling for Ezra, despite Evan's multiple warnings that she should calm down and lower her voice. Not only was she scaring Ollie by her unnecessary screeching, she was also forgetting that this was an apartment complex with multiple other residents who most likely expected peace and quiet at eight in the morning. 

I walked over to Ezra and cupped his face with my free hand, stroking my thumb beneath his left eye. "I'm right here, baby. Remember I'm here and I have your back. Try not to loose yourself, I know you're angry, but think about Ollie and what he needs too, okay?" 

"Yeah," he agreed, lowering his head for a quick kiss but I slid my hand around to the back of his neck, holding him against me for a few seconds longer as I licked his lips and kissed his tongue. His whole body was vibrating and I wanted him to calm down. When he finally relaxed, I let him go, stepping back with a smile. 

"There you go, Mister CEO. Be strong, kick ass! Don't take any bullshit! Repel the evil!" 

He managed to crack a smile and that slight tilt of his pink lips made me feel accomplished like nothing before. My heart beat a little slower, and I relaxed just a little bit, stepping back. He'd be okay, besides, Evan would be out there with him too. I debated texting Jeremiah and asking him to sneak across the hall into our bedroom so we could sit together, but I was under the impression the two brothers weren't ready for us to be seen, so I didn't risk it. 

Ezra left the room, closing the door tightly behind him and I peered down at Ollie who was anxiously sucking away at his pacifier like his life depended on it. That really couldn't be good for his little teeth. I was worried but I didn't let it show as I kissed his cheek, smiling and beginning to sing quietly to him again. The nursery rhyme was a silly little song about yummy tomatoes and despite the comical lyrics, it had been my favourite growing up. 

Ollie relaxed, but he didn't smile. It made me wonder about Evan's concerns for his development. It wasn't that Ollie couldn't talk or laugh or play. No, he definitely matched his behaviour to the atmosphere around him. Things between Ezra and Renee must have been really bad for him to shut down the way he did. Seeing Ezra so shocked every time Ollie showed excitement and enthusiasm was truly gut wrenching because that was not the atmosphere he had to match at home.