Chapter 36

JAE • POV
1 year later.

I was a fucking fashionista of a dad! I rocked fatherhood like a motherfucking champion!

Fashionable, leather, black fanny pack with adorably cute cartoon keychains? Check.

Fashionable white socks paired with platformed Doc Martin sandals in true dad transformation? Check.

Fashionable oversized black shirt tucked in the front, loose in the back, with a graphic print of a dragon, hanging over my five inch inseam, cream-coloured shorts? Check.

Sun glasses, hair in a messy bun, hoop piercings swapped for safety studs and a paw patrol bandaid stuck to my cheek, courtesy of my three year old son. Check.

Now all I needed was said three year old son and the baby.... The baby who was crying while I checked myself out in the mirror. Vanity was the only downfall of my super awesome dadness!

"Ollie! Get your shoes on please bubba, we gotta go!"

I rushed past Ollie who had paused beside the couch. He was wearing his usual white doctor's coat over a simple grey shirt and jean shorts. But my baby fancied himself a fashionista too. He had glittery green fairy wings on his back, a red scaled dinosaur mask over his head and had also stuck paw patrol bandaids to his uninjured knees.

"Go go? Where? Where 'we going, Appa?"

"To see Daddy at work! Shoes please!" I hollered as I swung into the nursery, grabbing clothes, a diaper and wipes out of drawers as I made my way over to the crib set up against the far wall.

I could just about see the soft tufts of kinky-curly, black hair between the bars as my baby number two wiggled and cried herself awake. Opal whimpered and I dropped my gathered items on the changing table, before reaching into the crib and carefully pulling her out.

"Good afternoon, princess," I sang, pressing kisses up her round apple cheek as I cuddled her close. The nine-month-old cooed, settling into my arms, cries quieting to sniffles and the occasional dramatic hiccup.

"Opi wake up!" Ollie giggled, holding onto my leg, peering up at me and his little sister. He was wearing one yellow wellington boot on his right foot and the right side of a nike sneaker on his left foot. "Opi wants to play dinosaur doctor! She does, she does!"

He tried pushing his stethoscope towards her and I gently placed my hand over his little, insistent one. "Opal needs her diaper changed, she's got a stinky butt. Daddy forgot his lunch at home, so we've got to bring it for him. We don't want him to go hungry do we?"

"Daddy forgot his lunch?!" Ollie let out a horrified gasp as I lay Opal on the changing mat up on the table. I lifted the inquisitive toddler up beside her so he could feel involved in the entire poopy diaper process.

"Yup! I bet his stomach is rumbling so loudly!" I said, breathing through my mouth to fend off the smell. Ollie didn't seem phased in the slightest.

"Grrrr! Rumble rumble!" Ollie rubbed his stomach, nodding seriously, those gorgeous green eyes as wide as saucers. "Not good, Appa! Have to save Daddy! Have to give him a san'wich! Jam san'wich!"

I undressed Opal out of her onesie quickly and she squirmed, fists balled, legs kicking. She was beginning her crawling phase which meant it was getting harder and harder to hold her still. But she was so freaking adorable that I couldn't be mad as I whipped off her diaper, cleaned her up and replaced it with a new one.

"Jam sandwiches are yummy, but I made Daddy some chicken and rice."

"Yummy! Save some, Ollie too!" Ollie demanded patting my shoulder to get my attention. I nodded placatingly, grinning and leaning in to kiss his cheek.