Chapter 20

JAE ▪︎ POV

Ollie was blinking up at me with large, green eyes shining brighter then they had done this morning after the drama unfolded with his family, though they hadn't twinkled magically again like they had during our cuddles in bed. It was almost time for us all to depart from Evan's humble home and I was squeezing in as many cuddles as I could with the adorable toddler before we left.

He sat in my lap, more than content to be hugged and squished and kissed like a teddy bear and I took full advantage of his high tolerance, pulling on his pink little cheeks before kissing each round apple. He only gurgled behind his pacifier, his little fingers tangled in my hoodie as he clawed at my panda themed chest.

While I played with Ollie, Ezra walked around the room, folding little clothes and big clothes into bags, double checking he had everything, including the fresh diapers previously spilled out on the floor. I watched him out of the corner of my eye, worried about him, how he was feeling, what he was thinking. Ezra thought he was doing a fine job at holding himself together, but I saw the frown that tilted his lips and the darkness that shadowed his green eyes.

He wasn't the fun and loving man I had to myself yesterday and early this morning. No, he was the tired father, the defeated husband and the disowned son. I wanted to tell him that no one expected him to be okay, that he had every right to break down and heck, cry if he needed too. I'd be right there by his side. But I kept my mouth shut, not wanting to push him and risk upsetting him, even if my intentions came from love.

Instead, I watched over Ollie so that he could concentrate on packing away their belongings. My eyes lowered to the two year old and he was staring at his daddy too. As if he could pick up on Ezra's stress, a little hiccup got caught in the back of his throat, as though he was about to cry. Shit, we couldn't have that.

"Hey, Ollie, I know you're off doctor duty," I whispered softly against his ear and he listened dutifully. "But daddy could use a big kiss and a cuddle right now to make him feel better. Do you think you could help me do that?" I let the words linger excitedly and he was quick to nod, his little legs already shuffling over my thighs.

I stood up and let him go, watching as he waddled quickly over to a silent Ezra and raised his arms. Ezra smiled down at Ollie, lifting him without any hesitation, even dropping the straps in his hands and letting Ollie's bag of necessities fall to the bed. The smile that finally reached his eyes made my heart stutter and I knew then that he'd be fine. As long as he had Ollie, he'd remain strong enough to carry on, even without me around.

Ollie gripped Ezra's cheeks, his little fingers grazing prickly stubble, since Ezra hadn't bothered to shave after the fiasco this morning. He looked gorgeous, despite the tired tilt to his head. His hair was messy, his dark brown curls pushed back, though a few strands curled against his forehead. Ruggedly handsome and dangerous looking.

Ollie pressed a wet, open mouthed kiss on Ezra's lips, his large green eyes searching Ezra's face. He pecked once, twice and three times. "All better," he whispered and Ezra smiled, quickly wiping his twinkling eyes as he returned his son's kisses.

"Thank you baby," he hummed roughly before searching for me and holding out his hand. I went over to him, snuggling into his side and he wrapped his firm, muscular arm around my back, pulling me tightly into his warmth. I tilted my head back for a kiss too, a long, slow, lingering one that spoke more volumes than words.

I love you. I'm here for you. Everything will be okay.

"When's the next time I'll see you?" I asked, pulling away and darting my tongue out to skim along his damp bottom lip. I hated the question, not wanting to be apart, all too happy to remain in dreamland playing happy families with him. It irritated and unsettled me deep down in my gut that he was returning home where Renee waited for him with sharpened claws, instead of remaining by my side.