Chapter 4

"Y/n. Wake up." Mike shakes my shoulder and the sound of my alarm registers. "Your alarm has been going off for twenty minutes."

"Shit" I whisper, throwing off the covers and grabbing my gym bag. I change fast and grab my keys, racing down the stairs as I prepare for my workout. It won't be as long as it needs to be, but I can always finish after work. Maybe I'll actually take advantage of the gym at the agency.

By the time I've worked up a decent sweat and gotten home to shower, I don't have time for breakfast this morning and I text Tai that I'm running behind schedule.

Fatgum
Everything okay?

Y/n
Yeah. Fine. Just overslept.

Fatgum
Alright. I'll see you soon.

I don't even have time to pack my lunch and by the time I'm rushing through the doors, I feel even worse to see Tai manning the desk for me.

"I'm so sorry. I over slept and then thought I could still squeeze in a workout but I lost track of time and... again. Sorry." I'm rambling as I set my purse under the desk and shoo him out of my seat. The computer is already booted up and I start to panic work, throwing schedules together and doing my normal morning tasks at a lighting pace.

"Whoa. It's all right. I already did all that. You're set up for the day." He puts his massive hands on my arms and forces me to still. I watch his eyes trail over any exposed skin. It doesn't feel creepy, more like he's looking for something.

"What?" I look up at him confused

"Your system is so detailed and organized that it was pretty easy to sort for the day. I didn't want to mess up the schedule for the rest of the week, so I just stuck to today. Sorry."

"Sorry? What are you sorry for? You did my job." I realize that his hands are still on my arms, but I don't move to get away from his touch. It's oddly comforting.

"When I first started this agency, I had to do this job. I don't miss it."

"Oh. Thank you." I don't know what else to say and take a deep breath, finally calming down after my whirl wind morning.

"You're welcome" his thumb strokes my arm before letting go.

"Do you need anything today?" I ask.

"For you to let me take you out to lunch." He states firmly

"I come in late and you want to reward me with lunch?" I tease

"More like picking up where we left off yesterday."

"You have a lunch meeting today" I state, getting serious.

"Good thing I have a hell of a manger that can reschedule it" he flashes me is wide smile.

"You've already rescheduled three times. You have to go."

"Ugh. Tomorrow then?" He raises an eyebrow at me. It should feel like a demand from my boss, but it comes across as a request from a friend.

"I'll pencil it in" I chuckle. "And don't forget about our monthly wrap up meeting at six."

"How could I ever forget about my favorite meeting of the month?" I can't tell if his tone is sarcastic or genuine. It's definitely a boring meeting that can be anywhere from thirty minutes to four hours. It all just depends on how busy we've been.

At the end of every month, the government releases the reports back to all the agencies from the previous month with comments and feedback on them. Tai and I go through them all to reevaluate the agencies needs and to determine if there's something we can do better. I should hate that I have to stay late once a month, but I do honestly look forward to the time. It always ends in a fit of laughter as we poke fun at all the ridiculous incidents that required reports.