Chapter 26

"Have a seat, cupcake! You look exhausted" Tai says as I get a plate of food and a large glass of water in front of him on a tray on wheels.

"I can sleep when we get you home" I reply, smoothing out his blanket before sitting back in my seat next to his bed.

"Come back up here" he pats the spot next to him. In skinny form there would be enough room, but I know I wouldn't want to keep my hands to myself.

"I'm okay here." I cross my arms and yawn as I settle lower into my seat. There isn't a couch in here since it's the ICU and I'm regretting saying no to the orderly that offered me a cot. 

There's no way I'm going to get any sleep in this chair so I decide to take out the tablet Reigen packed for me and do some work, setting up the schedule for tomorrow. Tai tries to get my attention with short huffs and dramatic sighs. He succeeds when he fakes a pained 'ow' but gets a good scolding from me for the tactic. He naps on and off through the afternoon and by the time night falls, he's begging me to go home to rest.

"Please, cupcake! You've been here for over 24 hours and I'm pretty sure you haven't left this room." He pleads "go home and get a good night sleep. I'll still be here until at least tomorrow morning."

"I did leave this room! I went into that one to go shower this morning" I gesture to the bathroom with my head. Tai glares at me "besides, I don't think I can sleep alone in your bed tonight knowing you're still here."

"I'll check out early then."

"You will do no such thing. I've already cleared the rest of your week. No patrols, no assignments, if you even dare to come in, it's you and a desk. Heck, I might even give Clark a paid week off and you can go downstairs and sit next to Liz." I threaten with a finger pointed at him.

"That's harsh" he puts a hand to his chest, feigning hurt. "I can't believe you would do that to me"

"I'll go to great lengths to make sure you don't hurt yourself further. Just like you would for me."

"You're right. I would." He admits with a shoulder shrug.

"So you're not working all week"

"I'll still come in for morale purposes and to bug you, but I guess I won't complain too much about a lack of responsibility" he winks at me

"I'm going to regret this aren't I" I grumble, just thinking of all the ways he's going to 'distract' me. It makes me feel hot all over. "Maybe I will go crash at your place"

"You should. Everything will be fine here" he reaches out and grabs my hand to stop me from going to find another thing to do.

"It was a bluff! You were supposed to call me out on it" I fake pout

"Go home, cupcake. Take a break. I'll call you if there's anything you need to know"

"I don't want to leave you" I run my thumb along the side of his hand. "I don't think I'll be able to sleep without you near anyway."

"Then come up here next to me and close your eyes for a little bit" he scoots over on his mattress a couple inches to give me space to curl up next to him. I hesitate, but cave when he pats the empty space and my exhaustion seems overwhelming.