Chapter 25

Kirishima and I don't talk as he speeds to the hospital. The lurching in my gut only intensified by my bone deep fear that I'm going to show up and he's going to already be gone.

We sprint into the building and up to the reception desk. They point us in the direction of his room. That's a good sign that he's at least alive. We're told countless times to slow down and we do... until we turn a corner and we take off at a sprint again. It feels like an eternity until we're outside his door. Through the glass wall of the ICU I can see his torso above the sheet bandaged and blood poking through in some spots. His skinny form lies in a bed that seems like it shouldn't be big enough for him.

I don't hesitates as I bust through the door as quietly as I can so I don't wake the sleeping hero. At least I hope I could wake him if I wanted to. There are two seats on the far side of the room. I run my fingers through his hair a couple times and then trail them down his face before I sit in the one closet to his head. Kirishima takes the other on and we wait in tense silence for a doctor or nurse to come in.

I keep one hand on his face, stroking his cheek and the other in his hand. It's not holding mine back and it shatters my heart seeing him like this.

"What happened" I whisper, having a hard time finding my voice.

"I don't know" Kirishima replies equally as quiet. I can't see his face since I refuse to take my eyes off Tai. "Tamaki was the one that called. He's somewhere in this hospital. I should go find him." He gets up suddenly like he can't sit still and paces around the room a few times.

"Go find Tamaki. I've got Tai." I say, running my hand through Tai's hair. The steady beat of his heart monitor is the only comfort I get while I watch him and give him what I can for the hours he's unconscious. Nurses come in to change his bandages and I help so that I don't have to leave him. They can't tell me anything about his condition and just ask that I wait for the doctor.

"Y/n" I look up to see Tamaki in a hospital gown and robe, bandaged and dragging an IV with him.

"Hey Tamaki, how are you feeling?" I ask and step away from Tai only to help Tamaki into a chair. I'm right back to touching Tai when he's settled.

"I'm okay. I don't know how it happened." He says sadly, shaking his head and hiding his face in his hands as his elbows rest on his knees. "We had it all planned out. It was supposed to be simple. I don't understand how it went so wrong."

"Walk me through it?" I ask gently.

"The guy we were trying to get has been evading capture for a couple months now but we got some intel that he's been squatting at a warehouse. Fat and I went to check it out a a little while ago and found evidence that he was staying there. We made a fool proof plan to surprise him when he got in and arrest him without incident. Fat has had some run ins with him in the past so that's why I asked him to help, but it's like he knew we were coming. He was there when we got there and had friends with him too." He rubs his head, scowling at the floor "they ambushed us. Tai took the brunt of the blows. Saved me from the bigger hits, taking them on himself. We didn't even have time to call for backup"

"How did you both get out of there?" I rest one of my hands on the top of his head and ruffles his hair a little to comfort him. He looks up at me with tears in his eyes. I'm not sure if its his regret or his lack of stuttering that's more shocking to me.

"I still don't know. One of them got a phone call and they told the others to leave. They all just dispersed and we were left bleeding on the ground. I barely had enough energy to call for help. Fat was already knocked out. There was so much blood" he shakes in his seat "I wanted to come see how he was doing. Kirishima had to go take care of his sister. He wanted me to tell you that he'll drop your stuff off at Fat's first."