Chapter 19

An alarm goes off too soon and we're both grumbling at the early morning hour. We were up way too late but I don't regret a thing. Based on the silly smile plastered on Tai's face as he wakes up to find me curled into him, neither does he.

"I'll make breakfast and pack our lunch." He kisses my forehead as he gets out of bed. I wait a couple of minutes after he goes downstairs, playing the dangerous game of trying not to fall asleep.

"You don't regret last night, right?" He asks suddenly after we have finished eating and are just sitting across from each other, savoring our last few minutes before we have to leave for work. Tai still has to get dressed but his hero costume will take him about four minutes to put together, so there's really no rush.

"Are you really asking if I regret the best sex of my life?" I counter

"Yes?" He smiles

"No. I don't regret it. I never will" I reach across the table and grab his hand. "Kind of wish we had time for round two if I'm being honest..."

"Say less" he drags me across the table into his lap. I straddle one of his legs so that I'm comfortable and press my lips to his. He presses his tongue against the seam of mine and I gladly let him in. Our tongues explore and when my phone rings, I groan, not wanting to stop. "I need to get ready anyway."

He stands with both of us before setting me down and leaving to go upstairs. I check the caller ID to find a familiar name popping up.

"Hey dad" I answer cheerfully.

"So kid, I keep getting calls from your mom..." He sounds tired like he just got off the phone with her.

"This'll be good" my smile falls a little. My parents got divorced before I was in middle school, but they put aside their differences to raise me, even though he's technically only my step-dad. They never said a bad word about each other until I was the one that started complaining about them as an adult.

"She keeps calling and tells me to try to convince you to go get Mike back. Thanks for telling me you two broke up, by the way." I can hear his smile through the phone.

"Sorry. Been a crazy couple of days."

"It's alright. She didn't tell me why, just that when she talked to Mike, he said he broke up with you"

"Yeah, of course he did" I roll my eyes "It's amazing that she'll believe him over me"

"I don't know what's up with that either. So tell me what really happened."

"I came home from work and found him in bed with another woman." I decide it doesn't matter that it was with Liz, who he has met when he came to visit me at work one day.

"I'm gonna kill him" there's shuffling on the other end of the line like he's getting out of bed and getting dressed.

"You've got work soon" I remind him and the shuffling stops.

"After work, then." Tai joins me downstairs as I grab my purse and he gets our lunch. He raises an eyebrow at me and I whisper to him "my dad"

"Who's there with you now?" My dad asks

"It's Tai"

"Who the fuck is Tai?"

"Um... Fatgum" I swallow hard

"Give the phone to him" He commands

"Dad..."

"I just want to have a few words with him" His tone is unfamiliar and it makes me nervous.

"Dad..." I repeat

"Y/n" his tone sounds like he's not requesting anymore.

I sigh and pass the phone to Tai. "He wants to talk to you."