Chapter 12

I wake up a few hours later to the sound of my ringtone. It cuts off before I can pick it up. A few minutes later, the voicemail tone sounds. It's my mom.

"Hey sweetie, it's mom. I've been talking to Mike and he says he forgives you and is willing to talk though whatever you're going through. He doesn't blame you for anything and is so in love with you that he wants to marry you. He even said he has a ring. We all make mistakes, honey, this is just part of relationships. Go talk to him. Call me back. Love you!"

Is she delusional? I stare at my phone and feel awful. How could this be my fault? Is it my fault? No! Of course it isn't!

My eyes brim with tear as and I throw Tai's hoodie off to pad to the bathroom. I've only been asleep for a couple of hours, and I just know work is going to be rough when the morning comes. I don't know what I'm going to do for housing now. Apartments are almost impossible to find, and if I want to live alone, it's going to cost me a good chunk of my savings.

I just let my tears fall. This whole situation is just frustrating. Maybe I should demand that he leaves, but then I'm worried that he'll just keep coming back and it'll be a whole big mess that I'll have to get the police involved. At least if I'm the one that moves, then I don't have to have the ugly old furniture that's in the current place and I can find a place with hardwood floors.

I text as many friends as I can think of to try to find a place to crash for a couple nights. We haven't hung out much since Mike has always been so demanding of my time so I don't take it personally when they don't answer. It's also pretty late which could be aiding in the cold shoulder I'm getting.

I call Reigen, hoping he'll have some smart ass comment to make me feel better and would be willing to take me in. He doesn't answer.

I'm sobbing on the couch, overwhelmed with all the things I have to do and just feeling the betrayal from Mike who I now never want to see again. I pull the hoodie up over my shoulders and Tai walks in not too much later. I hide my face in my hands without looking at him and rest my elbows on my knees. It just occurs to me that the pajamas I grabbed are basically lingerie. It's a thigh length silky number trimmed with lace, has spaghetti straps and the neckline plunges to the spot between my breasts.

"There you are" he whispers, kneeling on the ground in front of me and rubbing his hands up and down my arms. "I thought you were going to a hotel?"

"Convention in town. They're all booked" I choke out.

"Let it out, sweet bean" he sits next to me and pulls me into his lap, holding me close to him. I take a quick peek up at him and try to smile.

"Rough night?" I ask. He's in his skinny form and has scuff marks on his face and neck.

"Nothing we couldn't handle" he leans down like he's going to kiss my forehead, but seems to change his mind and rests his head on top of mine instead. "Are you crying about that waste of space that never deserved you? Or something else?"

"Just everything" I don't over think it and just bury my face into his shear. He wraps his arms around me and holds on even tighter.

"Tell me" he says as he rubs my back.

"I'm not upset we broke up. I'm only a little upset that he cheated. I can recognize now that I haven't been happy in the relationship for awhile. I'm the most upset that my mom is begging me to get back together with him and making this whole thing sound like my fault" saying it out loud makes me cry harder.

"I don't need to say it because you already know, but I'm going to anyway. It is not your fault. It's not your fault he cheated. It's not your fault that you two broke up. It's not your fault your mom thinks it is. It's. Not. Your. Fault."