Chapter 36

I keep my emotions on lock down and my face trained in a portrait of indifference as Mike drives through the seemingly quiet streets close to our old apartment. We pass the building and arrive shortly after at a block of run down houses.

"Welcome home" he says after he parks in front of a more well kept place.

"You bought a house?" I ask, trying to keep the disappointment out of my voice. It's small and I just know it's not going to give me the same homey feeling as Tai's place.

"I've been working on buying it for a few months before you left me."

If I wasn't so angry and defeated, I would think this gesture was sweet. Before Tai, anyway.

"Thank you" I say because I know it's expected of me.

"Where's all your stuff?"

"Most of it is in storage. The rest is at Kirishima's"

"We'll get the stuff out of storage, but you know you can't go back to his place, right?" He tries to be sweet and tuck hair behind my ear. I stiffen. "I know you have a lot of feelings right now, but you'll see, in time, that this is the right thing."

I nod stiffly and get out of the truck. He gives me the quick tour of the house and when we're standing in the living room, I get a little antsy.

"Can you please call them now?" It's only been about 45 minutes since I last saw the video, but I don't know what kind of horrors have been unleashed in that time.

"Fine. Pushy." He mumbles but I let it go because he's doing what I want. He puts it on speaker. "Let him go."

The person on the other end of the line laughs. "No."

"What do you mean? This was the deal. You get to torment him until I say otherwise, then you let him go." Mike seems agitated

"We've been trying to get this asshole under our control for years. We won't be letting him go while he still breathes." The line goes dead.

I switch my gaze from his face to the phone, letting my rage build.

"Y/n... I did-"

"YOU SON OF A BITCH" I roar and tackle him, straddling him and punching his face. If I still had the knife, I would have stabbed him.

"Baby" he pleads and wheezes between hits.

"Don't. You. Fucking. Call. Me. That" I punctuate each word with it's own punch. He's bleeding and swollen and I'm just getting started. I stand up while he writhes on the floor. "You got me shot" my foot connects with his ribs "you got me stabbed" a solid kick to his kidneys "you're going to get Tai killed" one more kick to his groin "I'm going to kill you"

I start to stomp to the door "wait" he chokes out

"No, Mike. I'm done with you. Forever. The next time you see me. It's going to be the last thing you see."

"I can help you. I know where they are" he takes a shaky breath in, clearly winded from the shot to the chest.

"Why should I trust you?" I pause at the door. "You've done nothing but hurt me since I left."

"I was desperate not to lose you. I want a future with you." He rolls onto all fours "I heard what he said to you when he broke up with you. How could you want to go back to that?"

"What I do with my life is now none of your business." Tai may have hurt me with his lies and it still smarts, but I can't let him die. "I don't trust you."

"Call your hero friends. They can help and keep me in line." He seems genuine, but all I want to do is rip his face off.

"Give me the location and I'll take care of the rest" I demand