Chapter 35

A very sad routine begins to form over the next two weeks. I wake up, check my phone to see Tai's location, get up, do some core exercises to get my strength back, eat a bowl of cereal, then get back in bed for my morning nap. Kirishima sometimes eats with me, sometimes he goes across the hall and has breakfast with Bakugo who I learned lives there.

On the weekdays, Kirishima goes to work and I search for a new job on his laptop. I really don't know what to do. I don't want to work at another agency, but I'm also not trained to work anywhere else. After crying about it for a little while, I put in a few applications around town before putting the computer away. About this time, I look at the tracker app again and see where Tai is. It looks like he's on patrol and I kick myself for worrying about him. He broke my heart and I have to move on from him.

In the evenings, Kirishima and I have dinner with Bakugo, who usually cooks since we're 'hopless' and he could never 'eat the crap that we'll probably make'. If he wants to cook for me, then I'm not going to complain.

I always end up going to bed early, and I hear the two of them talking in the living room late into the night. Once when I got up to get some water, I thought I saw Bakugo running his hands through Kirishima's hair but it was over so quick, I second guessed myself.

Bakugo and I get along surprisingly well and one of my favorite things to help me feel better is to trade verbal jousts with him. He always seems to know when he's about to go too far and 'gives up' before landing a blow that could hurt.

On the weekends, we watch movies, taking turns picking and by extension insulting the other's choice. It's comfortable and I'm actually having fun with them. That is until I go into my own room and close the door to cry into my Tai body pillow as I fall asleep.

I get a job on the third week as a manager at a retail store that I really don't care about. I go through the motions and put up with the incompetent boss just to get a paycheck. It's less than what I made before, but I know this job is temporary.

I'm looking through the ads for apartments on a weekend when Kirishima has to work when he comes busting in, red faced and still in his hero gear.

"Um. Welcome back?"

"Something is wrong and I don't quite know what is happening." He says, a little breathless

"What do you mean?"

"Fat just took off suddenly without a word to anyone but he looked worried." He's been telling me that it's been really tense around the office. Word got around about what Tai said to me and the heroes are cold but professional with him because of it. There's a sense of satisfaction that everyone in that building had my back. Apparently even Clark just throws his daily schedule at him as he walks by in the morning.

"He probably had something to do." I shrug it off, resisting the urge to check his location.

"That's what I thought at first but then it kept eating at me so I went into his office." Kirishima continues, producing an envelope that he hands to me. "And I found this."

I take it and see Tai's small and scratchy handwriting spelling out my name on the front.

"And?"

"Something is wrong, y/n. I'm sure of it." He insists. "Please read it"

"I won't." I push it back toward him. "I can't."

"Please" he pleads again.

"I don't want to know what he has to say to me. He let it all out the last time we spoke."

"Can I read it then?"

"Sure." I shrug, looking back at the apartment listings.

He takes a deep breath, unseals the letter and starts reading out loud.