Chapter 6

"You should have seen how happy the kid was when I asked him to cover the phones for you" Tai says as we walk out of the agency.

"He'll figure out that I'm not the one he needs to impress" I roll my eyes, heading to my car.

"I'll drive us"

"I could be awhile. I don't want you to get stuck there. Heard the office manager is a real stickler about people getting their paperwork done in a timely manner"

He starts to argue, but I raise an eyebrow and he sighs, knowing I won't cave.

"See you there" he says, turning to his vehicle.

I slide behind the wheel and turn the key. Nothing happens. I take the key out and try again. Nothing. I get out and flag down Tai while I call Mike.

"Hey baby! How's your day going?" He answers cheerfully.

"It's fine. I'm trying to go to the police station, but my car won't start" I say as Tai's oversized SUV stops in front of me and he rolls his window down.

"I can come get you and take you. It's a pretty slow day, the guys wouldn't mind covering for me."

"Thanks but I'll just catch a ride with Fatgum." I say it more like a question and Tai nods, unlocking the door. I have to climb into the car it's so far off the ground.

"No, really babe, it's no problem. Give me ten minutes."

"I'm already in his car. But I would appreciate if you can come by after work and see if you can get it going."

"Alright. I'll be there after my shift." He sounds annoyed.

"Everything okay?" I ask as I buckle and Tai starts to pull away.

"Yeah. Fine. Be safe." He hangs up without another word.

"O-okay" I say to the screen

"The boyfriend?" Tai asks

"The boyfriend." I confirm "my car won't start."

"Has it been having troubles?"

"No. That's the weird thing. It's not that old and Mike is really good about taking it to get serviced." I cross my arms over my chest, annoyed that I'll have to deal with that problem later.

"I can have one of the maintenance crew take a look to see if it's something simple."

"No, they need to finish their project today. They're already behind schedule. It'll be fine. Mike will handle it." I sigh, trying to focus on what I need to do with my quirk today. It's been a few weeks since I've used it and I have to prepare myself for it. My quirk effects me too, so I brace myself just in case the cake isn't enough.

Tai tries to make casual conversation, but I'm only half listening until we arrive. He bee lines to the chief and is already done by the time Jack comes out to greet me.

"That was fast" I comment.

"I can't miss this" he says excitedly.

"Brought a friend with you this time?" Jack teases as he steps toward us. He shakes Tai's hand and gives me a quick hug.

"You know me. Always want to put on a show" I joke.

"No you don't" he laughs "but it's good to see you. Thanks for your help. Got your cake too. Not the weirdest thing you've asked for."

"Are you ready for me?" I ask as I start to feel anxious.

"Of course." Jack leads us to a small room off an interrogation room where we can see the accused in the next area. My cake is sitting on a table off to the side "This is the guy. He's already confessed to the robbery, and we think he wants to give up his accomplices, but for some reason he wont."