Chapter 34

I crack my eyes open against the bright light above me. The pain in my chest makes me groan as I look around the empty room. My eyes spot a window, and take note of the darkness outside.

Where's Tai?

I press the call button to summon a nurse to see if there's any drugs they can give me.

"Has anyone been here?" I ask the nurse when she adds an extra push of something to my IV.

"You were brought in the ambulance alone. The doctor should be by in the morning to talk to you." She replies, patting my leg sympathetically.

"How long have I been here?" I question.

"You've been asleep for a couple days."

"A couple days?!? Do you know where my phone is?"

"I'll look into that"

I nod, closing my eyes, really tired again. I have a horrible nightmare of being stabbed and wake up gasping in the mid morning light. I'm still alone as I take stock of my injury. There's a piece of gauze taped between my boobs  right where the knife was. Peaking under the bandage, it's angry, swollen and red. There are three shiny staples along it.

"How are you today, Ms. l/n?" A man in a white lab coat says as he walks in.

"Um. I hurt but I'm alive, so I guess I'm okay." I answer, my throat raspy from being so dry.

The doctor pours me a glass of water, handing it to me as he sits in the chair next to me with a sigh. He must have had a long morning already. "The good news is that your surgery went well and the knife missed your heart by a millimeter. The end of the blade was barbed so it did a lot of damage to your sternum when it was removed and you lost a lot of blood because of it. It shouldn't cause any long term effects but you're going to be sore for awhile."

"Just how long am I going to be here?" I ask.

"My estimate is at least two weeks while you recover."

"Is it possible that I can still work? I need to at least get hero schedules ready and be able to look at their reports."

"I'd prefer you just rest and heal, but I'll call your agency and see what we can get arranged with minimal effort from you." He nods and makes sure I have no more questions before leaving.

The nurse brings my phone to me by lunchtime. I have no missed calls or texts from Tai. It makes me worry that something is wrong. I could have sworn I heard him yell for me in the alley. Maybe it was just my brain trying to give me comfort in what it thought was my last moments.

I try calling him but it goes to voicemail. "Um. Hey big bear, I'm uh... I'm in the hospital... I don't really know what else to say. The doctor said I'll be okay but I'll probably be here for awhile. Call me when you have a chance. Love you."

I text Kirishima to let him know I'm awake. He texts back immediately.

Kirishima
Oh thank fuck. I'll let everyone here know. We've all been so worried.

Y/n
Do you know where Tai is?

Kirishima
He's here at work.

Y/n
Does he know I'm in the hospital?

Kirishima
Yeah.... He found you in the alley before Tamaki and me. He kept pressure on your wound until the ambulance got there. He's been weird since then. Sent me and Tamaki home and when I said I'd cover his patrol today, he said that wasn't necessary.