||२९||

Chandrashekhar P.O.V.

It was a sunny day. The summers were approaching. Today we had a holiday for court. Our matters were to be discussed at the local market at the foothills of the fort. We even had a short meeting with head of the village of few neighbouring villages.

It was to be held secretly, so all of us, i.e., Ram, Yashomaan and myself were dressed in simple clothes. No one could guess we were from the royal palace. We left the fort pretty early in the morning so that no one could spot us.

We reached the local market by dawn. It was just making me nostalgic. I remembered roaming in the same market few years back when we stayed here and I wasn't a king, I was just a mere son of an Army Commander. We had liability to roam any where we wanted, unlike now.

I had achieved my dream of freeing people from the ill rule but lost my own freedom to roam as I want. But it's okay. I can always sacrifice for my dear subjects.

"Shekhar, thinking about something ?" Ram called me.

"No. Actually we have some time untill the meeting. So was thinking about going through the market and observing that there are no problems here."

"Nice idea! We will split out and meet at the decided place in two hours." Yashomaan came up with the idea.

"Good point. So see you two soon." We parted our ways and left for the market.

I was roaming in the market like a little boy, taking a surprising look at every little shop. I felt like being a kid again, requesting Matoshri to buy Kanta a doll, going behind Aaba Saheb and asking him to buy myself a wooden sword. I used to roam around with company of my friends - now ministers. Time passed by so quickly... The doll in Kanta's hand was now replaced with baby Hari, the wooden sword which I used to boast upon was now replaced with a real metallic sword and a company of a wonder woman. Suddenly I bumped into Ram.

"चंद्रशेखर, कसल्या विचारात आहेस ? थांब... मला माहिती कसल्या ते... पुन्हा एकदा लहान व्हायचं आहे ना ? "

(Chandrashekhar, what are you thinking ? Wait... I know what are you thinking... Thinking of being a kid again, right ?)

He read my mind. I nodded in confession.

"Let's get along. We will explore this area again, together." I suggested and he agreed.

We were observing each and every shop of that alley. The market hosted everyone - right from mud pots to metal vessels, from doll houses to daily need things of a house, from clothes for a baby to clothes for a women. Literally everything.

We stopped at a shop of fabrics. It housed fabrics used for Sarees, Uparna (shawl) and soft fabrics for clothes of kids. Ram wished to buy something for Hari.

"This would look great for Hari, isn't it?" I picked up a yellow cloth and showed to Ram.

"Yes. Even that blue one looks good." He replied.

Our discussion was going on for a while. We then shifted towards the section meant for women's clothing.

"I guess I will take a nice saree for your sister today." Ram said as he proceeded towards the shopkeeper.

I simply giggled and followed him. He visited such shops sometimes so as to have a look at the management of the market. It was his 'pastime' work.

"By the way young man, is everyone from the team (referring to the court) in the game (referring to the observation of the villages at foothills of the fort)?" I asked.

"Maybe yes. They were going in team of two." Ram replied.

"Great. I guess we ..."

Our talk was interrupted by two ladies.

"And this is the biggest shop for clothes since I was a kid."

Yatee P.O.V.

Today we were visiting the local areas. I had decided to have a look at the markets and fields to have a check on the wages of the working class. I left the palace before dawn so that no one can spot me. I changed into a simple saree, which I used to wear at Giripur. I changed my look to a local villager so that no one can suspect me. Dhara bai decided to accompany me as she wasn't from this area. She wanted to have a look at the surroundings.

We chatted all way long till we reached the market. The place where I grew up. The place where we spent most of our childhood. The place which went alive every day and turned into a silent ground at nights. A place which taught me to read people's faces, to have a peek in their minds.

Soon we entered into the market. We went from one shop to another having a brief discussion with the workers there. We stopped at an antique shop where they sold artifacts. It housed various types of items, right from furniture to pots. Dhara bai decided to buy a small box for herself.

"You also buy something Bai Saheb." She said as she bought the little box.

"Umm... Okay... I will buy a box to store my accessories for my hairs. And what else shall I buy ?"

"What about this handy mirror ?" Dhara bai took a nice, handy mirror, studded with various types of crystals and a nice, carved handle.

"Beautiful !" I exclaimed.

Soon we left that shop. I handed pur belongings to Dhara's husband, also my personal bodyguard to keep in the Palkhi.

"Why keeping my box with you belongings, Bai Saheb?" Dhara bai asked as she refused to keep our things together.

"What's the problem if we did so ?"

"Means... Umm... You are the Queen and I'm a mere servant. It won't be logical to have our things together."

"But I don't think so. Even Lord Sri Krishna ate food with his fellow friends. And you are like my sister, not any servant. And don't call yourself so, it's the insult of my sister Dhara."

"You are really a gem of a person Bai Saheb." She smiled and we proceeded towards the next alley.

"Look there !" I said and motioned Dhara bai towards a shop.

"It seems a huge shop Bai Saheb."

"Yes. It's the biggest shop of the market."

"Amazing !" Dhara said as we went towards the shop.

"It is a huge tent housing various types of items."

"Ohh... And what all is in there ?"

"We find shoes, toys, pots and many more things."

"And what is on that corner?" Dhara pointed towards the biggest stall.

"And this is the biggest shop for clothes since I was a kid." I said as we entered the shop.

It was still the same. Not many people were there so we decided to spend some considerate time in the shop.

"Can we buy a saree Bai Saheb?"

"Sure Dhara."

We had a jolly time in the shop. Few customers came while we were shopping. After shopping we enquired about the workers there. It was a good response. The shopkeeper paid them pretty well. All went good untill few noises were heard outside the shop.

"Surrender to us or else we will set all the shops on fire !"

"Bai Saheb... Where have we landed up in these problems !?" Dhara was shivering with fear.

_____________________________

Another update !!

What do you think, what will be the cause of such voices ?

Will anyone from the crowd come forward for help ?

Next update soon...

Till then, stay safe, take care and lots of love 💕