1.Stranger and Me.

Just one more day......

That's what I kept telling myself for the past six months, whenever I found myself on the brink of drowning in my own sorrow.

But I had chosen this path.

I allowed myself to sink into guilt until I could barely breathe.

This room, once a source of comfort and warmth, now felt too cold. Even in the peak of summer, I shivered as I stood on its threshold. It wasn't the weather that chilled me; it was the memories, the coldness of my heart growing with each passing day.

This room used to be filled with life—the vibrant paintings my mom created, family photographs, and trinkets that each held their own stories. The bed used to be adorned with my mom's favorite flowery sheets, and her cupboard was filled with her beloved summer dresses.

She despised winter for she never wanted to part with her cherished summer wardrobe. Now, the twin-sized bed stood empty, devoid of any mattress or flowery sheets. Her cupboard was bare, and the dressing mirror accumulated dust.

The shelf that once held my dad's business books now stood unoccupied. He used to sit in the corner on his recliner, engrossed in reading about the successful strategies of entrepreneurs.

But now, this room was empty, just like my heart.

I stepped inside, placing a storage box on the empty bed. Throughout the night, I tirelessly moved everything out of this room and into storage. Now it was already afternoon, and my body's exhaustion was overpowered by my numb mind.

As I gathered the remaining family photographs, I tried to avoid looking at each one, fearing the surge of emotions they would bring. But I couldn't resist glancing at one specific picture, taken three years ago.

In it, my mom and dad sat on chairs, and I stood behind them, my hands on their shoulders. I had playfully tilted their heads towards me so that they touched my cheeks.

We were all beaming with joy in that picture. My brown eyes sparkled like my mom's, and the flash of the camera caught that essence perfectly.

In that frozen moment of happiness, we were a family full of life and love.

I got startled when my phone's ringtone started echoing in the empty room. Abruptly, I placed the frame inside the box and walked towards the window to answer the call.

"Yes, Ash..."

"I'll be there in one hour," Ashley said in a cheerful voice.

"Okay."

"You're just saying okay? Can't you show some fake enthusiasm?"

She likes to be dramatic. "I'll show you my enthusiasm when you get here."

"You're being a bit cold. Has somebody died or what?" She didn't realize what she had said.

But her words didn't hurt as much as I had expected.

"I'm sorry, Neev. I didn't realize..." She said nervously after a brief silence.

"It's okay, Ash. We'll talk when you're here." I cut the call without waiting for her reply.

I gave a quick glance around to ensure I didn't leave anything, but something caught my eye. Just above the cupboard, there was a black plastic bag. I stepped on a stool to take a closer look. Inside, there was a beautiful printed summer dress—just what Mom used to like. I carried the plastic bag outside and placed it beside the door.

Giving one last glance at the room, I shut the door and locked it hastily, fearing I might change my mind.

I couldn't completely let go of my memories. They would stay with me until I died. I knew it would hurt. But to live, it was necessary to keep them locked away. In my guilt, I was on the verge of destroying myself, something I had already tried in these past six months.