15. Enlightenment

My tears seemed endless, and I could have cried even more if I wanted to. But an overwhelming emptiness consumed me, leaving me feeling numb.

It had been hours since the chaos downstairs, and Ashley had dragged me back to my room in the midst of it all.

I wasn't sure what happened afterward, but I overheard her and Nate discussing that Zev had left.

I still couldn't believe that he had come close to killing two people. Well, almost, because Hactor was still alive, albeit in critical condition. They rushed him to the hospital.

Am I a bad person for not feeling an ounce of pity for Hactor?

Everyone was so afraid of Zev that no one dared to stop him.

But where did he go?

Blankly, I stared around the room, still sitting at the edge of my bed. Hours had passed, and I hadn't moved from that position.

The sound of approaching footsteps drew my attention, and a few seconds later, Ashley stood at the threshold of the door.

I couldn't find the words to ask the many questions swirling in my mind, so I kept quiet.

She, too, appeared hesitant, as if gathering the courage to come closer. After taking a deep breath, she finally moved forward.

"You look exhausted, Neev. You should get some sleep," she said, and those were the last words I expected to hear.

I remained silent.

Sighing heavily, she walked straight to my closet and pulled out a pair of clothes. Holding them in front of me, she continued, "Take a hot shower and then get some rest. You'll feel better."

Though she spoke kindly, I didn't respond or make any move to take the clothes from her hand.

Instead of providing the explanations I desperately needed, Ashley seemed more concerned about my hot shower and sleep.

Her eyes avoided mine as if she couldn't bear to look at me.

"What is mate?" I asked, my voice barely recognizable due to its hoarseness.

"Not now, Neev," she replied, her voice tense.

"Why does he keep calling me his mate?" I pressed on.

"Because he's insane. He's a liar. You're nothing to him. Now, go take a shower. We'll talk in the morning," she raised her voice.

Yes, he was insane. He almost killed two people because of me.

My patience waned. "Instead of giving me explanations, you're more concerned about a damn shower."

The pity in her eyes infuriated me. I didn't want her sympathy, not from her. "Don't look at me like that, Ashley. I don't need your sympathy; I need answers," I warned.

"What am I supposed to do, Neev? I can't bear to look at you when you still reek of him. Your scent is a constant reminder that he claimed you," she said, her voice filled with frustration.

My blood boiled at her words. "Well, I'm sorry, Ashley, for being so weak. I couldn't stop him when he touched me against my will. If you had warned me sooner, none of this would have happened."

Guilt covered her face. "I was trying to protect you, Neev."

"How? By keeping me in the dark?"

"Yes," she said, her tone determined. "Our world is not for you."

"Do you think I want to be a part of your supernatural world?" My anger flared, and my nostrils twitched. "I just want answers. Why did he do this to me?" I pointed at my bandaged shoulder. "Why me?" I shouted.