4.Not My Day.

Secrets...

Four years ago, when I questioned Ashley about this mysterious guy and who he really was, she attempted to avoid giving me any answers. So, I never pressed her about him again. But for some reason, my mind kept bringing him back to my thoughts, as if he had left an indelible mark on my memory.

There was something captivating about him.

I knew Ashley had her reasons for not telling me, and I tried not to pry. She never liked discussing her family, and I respected her need for privacy. But deep down, I couldn't shake the feeling that she was hiding something significant from me.

Ever since I arrived here, I've been feeling uneasy. There was an unsettling aura surrounding this place, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

The stranger gestured towards the stairs, indicating that I should walk ahead of him. I wanted to keep an eye on him from behind, but when he made no move to follow, I reluctantly complied with his request. Sighing, I trudged up the stairs, the stranger following me at a cautious distance.

I heard him sniffing, which didn't surprise me. In this house, everyone seemed to have a close relationship with dogs.

"You are bleeding. Are you hurt?" His concern-laced voice made me freeze on the steps, and I instinctively clutched the railing tightly.

Damn it!

Was my dress already stained?

I craned my neck backward, attempting to catch a glimpse of any evidence myself. It was a futile attempt, and my heart sank with worry.

It would be a blessing if we had a pair of eyes at the back of our heads too.

The stranger followed my gaze, and to my irritation, his eyes shamelessly landed on my ass. He bit his lower lip, and I could swear something mischievous flickered in his sapphire eyes. I turned around fully to face him, hoping my glare would put an end to his inappropriate ogling. Thankfully, he seemed to snap out of his reverie, clearing his throat loudly.

"Are you hurt?" he repeated his question softly, but his lingering gaze still made me uncomfortable.

"No," I replied firmly.

"No?" He frowned and took another once-over of my body, sniffing loudly like a curious dog.

I couldn't believe this pervert. My irritation grew, and I narrowed my eyes at him. "I'm not hurt. But if you don't control your eyes and nose now, you're the one who's definitely going to get hurt," I snapped, trying to assert my boundaries.

To my surprise, his lips twitched slightly, as if amused by my response. Normally, I'd be offended, but there was something intriguing about this guy that made me second-guess my decision to follow him.

Is it really safe to follow him?

I had no choice. Desperation led me here, after all.

"You," I pointed towards the stairs, "walk ahead. I'll follow," I said, giving him a pointed look, trying to assert some authority.

He chuckled softly, seeming entertained by my assertiveness, and gave me an amused look. Strangely, I didn't find it as offensive as I should have.

With that, he complied and began leading the way up the stairs. As we walked, I couldn't help but notice that he had developed more muscle since the last time I saw him. He wasn't huge, but everything about him seemed perfectly proportioned.

Who is ogling now? I shut my snarky subconscious.

He glanced back at me, an amused glint in his eyes as if he could read my thoughts.