16. I should've known better

Leaning against the cool tiled wall of the bathroom, I closed my eyes, attempting to steady my racing thoughts. But the darkness behind my eyelids only seemed to amplify the chaos within my mind.

I winced as I gingerly touched the throbbing wound on my shoulder, with one swift motion I removed the old bandage to assess the damage. Blood seeped through the two holes torn on my skin, staining my shirt a deep crimson.

Even after the whole fucking week, his mark was not healing. With a determined grimace, I knew I had to tend to the injury before it worsened.

I reached for the first-aid kit under the washbasin, my movements deliberate and focused despite the ache in my muscles. Carefully, I removed a sterile gauze pad from its packaging and then reached for the antiseptic solution.

Taking a deep breath, I poured a small amount onto the pad, readying myself for the inevitable sting that would follow. Pressing the soaked pad against my wound, I winced as the disinfectant bit into my flesh.

I gritted my teeth, determined not to let the pain take over me. As I assessed the area around the wound, I observed it has gotten more purplish than yesterday. Instead of healing, this wound was getting worse with each passing day.

From the first-aid kit, I retrieved a roll of medical tape and carefully secured the gauze pad in place, ensuring it covered the entire wound. My hands trembled uncontrollably during the whole process, and sweat coated my forehead.

There was heaviness in my chest as I couldn't escape the suffocating feeling of being trapped. This wound that was punctured at the junction of my neck and shoulder was a constant reminder that I was tied to him.

A sudden knock on the bathroom door startled me but I took a sigh of relief when I heard Uncle George's voice from the other side "Neev are you all right? Why are you taking so long?"

"I'm fine," I said. "Just give me a minute." After cleaning the bloody mess, I had created I went outside.

As I stepped out of the bathroom, I was once again greeted by the rhythmic thuds of gloves hitting heavy bags, creating a percussive backdrop to the symphony of grunts and shouts, pulsating the boxing ring gym with energy.

Rows of heavy bags, suspended from sturdy metal frames, lined one side of the gym. They swung back and forth like pendulums, absorbing the impact of relentless punches.

Since last week I was also taking out my frustration and every other emotion on this unforgiving leather.

After spending two days at my place, Ashley and Nate had to head back to their own home, or I guess I should call it to their pack's territory, considering the werewolf terminology.

Before their departure, Ashley and Nate actually came up with a plan. They thought it would be best for me to go and live with my father's friend's family in Germany.

Strangely, they had already worked it all out without even bothering to discuss it with me or ask for my opinion. It seemed like a done deal – I was supposed to leave for Germany tomorrow.

Ashley was concerned about leaving me alone at my house and suggested that I come along with them. However, the idea of going to live with a group of werewolves who wanted me dead was absolutely out of the question for me. Especially after all the warnings I had received from her father – I'd prefer to vanish into thin air rather than willingly go with them.

Both Steven's and Nate's packs were on a search mission to find Ansel, who had gone missing since that particular day. They had deployed quite a few patrollers around my house, probably suspecting that he might return for me.