9. Too Overwhelming

I had to stay connected with my soul, especially during these times of emotional turmoil. The stress I was experiencing was taking a toll on me, and I knew I needed to find a way to cope with it.

To protect myself from the overwhelming fear and confusion, I started masking my emotions from both myself and others. It was a temporary solution, a way to hide from the magnitude of the problem at hand. But deep down, I knew that I couldn't keep hiding forever. Eventually, I would have to face this reality and talk to someone about it, or else these emotions would become self-destructive.

However, there was a problem - I had no one to talk to about this. I felt isolated and alone, with no confidant to share my burden with. It felt like I was mentally weak for not handling the situation more maturely, but the truth was that this was an extraordinary circumstance that I couldn't have prepared for.

People often say to talk to your conscious mind when dealing with troubling realities, but for me, it wasn't that simple. My mind felt clouded and confused, and I struggled to find logical thoughts among the chaos.

Everything around me felt surreal, as if the world I knew had been replaced by something dark and frightening. Even my closest friend Ashley seemed familiar yet different. It was hard to accept that my best friend, who I had known for five years, was not human. But despite her true identity, our bond remained true. She was still my best friend, and that wouldn't change.

In the midst of all this confusion and pain, I yearned to take back some control over my life and shield myself from the harsh reality that was hurting me so deeply.

"You've been awfully quiet since yesterday. What's on your mind?" Ashley noticed my distant look and questioned me, bringing me back to the present. I knew I couldn't keep delaying the confrontation with reality, but for now, it was the only option I had. I needed more time to deal with my emotions, to process everything that had happened.

"I want to go back," I murmured softly, causing Ashley to stop what she was doing with the dresses she brought here to show me for her wedding.

She stared at me with a blank expression, and her mother, who was sitting nearby, also looked at me. "Why?" Ashley asked, puzzled by my sudden desire to leave.

My mind was racing, and I wanted to scream that a human wasn't supposed to be among wolves, but I held back. "I don't feel good here," was all I managed to say, feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.

"But didn't the doctor say your injuries were almost healed? Your bandages are even removed now," she pointed out, concern etched on her face as she abruptly stood up and approached the bed. Ashley placed her hand on my forehead, expressing concern. "Do you have a fever?" she asked. I gazed into her grey eyes, grateful for her care, but at the same time, I couldn't help but think that she was something more than just human.

"No, it's not about the physical injuries," I replied, feeling the weight of the emotional turmoil inside me. "This place is just unfamiliar, and all I want is to go back home."

Leaving seemed like the only solution to me, an escape from this strange and unsettling environment.

Ashley, however, seemed determined to find a solution. "Is it because I'm not giving you enough time? Do you feel alone here? I'm so sorry, Neev—" she began, but I couldn't let her blame herself.

"Ashley," I interrupted gently, "tomorrow is your wedding. I know you're busy, but please try to understand my situation."

She paused, her expression softening. "No. If you don't like this place, it's okay. I'm going to Nate's pack anyway. You can stay with us," she suggested, trying to offer a solution.