19. His world

Many people appreciate silent moments when they need a little time to understand and process the complexities of their lives.

But for me, the silence I was currently experiencing was proving to be a bit lethal.

My mind was racing, thoughts whirling around about what had happened over these past days, what had unfolded today, and what lay ahead in the future.

These past two months had completely turned my life upside down.

Before these past two months, I wouldn't say that I was incredibly happy or fully content with my life, but I also wasn't constantly dreading every upcoming moment like I was right now.

Despite feeling a sense of emptiness, I was still able to navigate through each day, always holding onto the hope that even if I wasn't completely content in the present, the future would bring the kind of warmth and fulfillment I longed for.

I had hope back then, at least for what lay ahead.

But now, all I could perceive was darkness stretching out in front of me.

The hissing of the tires remained the sole sound in the surroundings, repeatedly pulling me back to the present moment and preventing me from getting lost in the darkness of my thoughts.

My gaze wandered to the front seat once more—Kyler's hands were drumming on the steering wheel as he drove. The shadow on the side of his face was more pronounced, a sign of his exhaustion after hours behind the wheel.

In the passenger seat directly in front of me was Ansel, and I was grateful that his face was obscured from my view. Seeing his face only served as a constant reminder of the uncertain future that awaited me with him.

I kept my gaze fixed on the passing trees outside the window, the endless forest stretching before me. When I asked Ansel about where we were going earlier, he replied with just one word: "home."

It was clear that the home he referred to wasn't Stevan's house. It was surprising to learn that he had another place he considered home.

After witnessing the events in the Omichli mountains, I had assumed Ansel was a loner. However, as I observed his interactions with Kyler, it became apparent that they had been friends for years. Their easy camaraderie hinted at a long history.

And from their hushed conversation earlier, I deduced that there were others in their group.

Guess I still knew nothing about him.

He was still a stranger... much like four years ago.

A stranger who promised to protect me from everyone.... including himself. But his words still felt hollow.

I continued to avoid thinking about Zev. What he did today, and what he might be capable of doing in the future, made me question everything.

Just the thought of him sent shudders down my spine.

And a part of me wished I could jump out of the car and end it all, before I had to face him again.

.

.

.

I wasn't sure when I dozed off, but a sudden jolt of the car woke me up.

Looking around, I peered out of the window and realized we were now on a dirt road, driving through the heart of a forest. The sun was setting, casting a warm, golden hue over the landscape.

The car moved along a narrow, winding path that snaked through the ancient woods. Tall trees stood like guardians, their branches forming a natural canopy that filtered the fading light.