22. You Can't Run Away From The Beast

I didn't stop for even a second as I walked out of the kitchen, afraid he would try to stop me and I would waver after seeing the hurt look on his face when I uttered those words.

Why was it that every time I said something mean to him, I was the one who got hurt the most?

As I pondered on it, I started to feel self-centered because he wasn't the one who had done those horrible things to me, yet I was treating him like that.

If only he were just Ansel... and not Zev... I shook my head at that thought.

Walking into his room, I shut the door and leaned against it. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath.

Get a hold of yourself, will you?

As I finally managed to contain some of my thoughts, I opened my eyes. A frown etched over my face as I walked towards the bed.

There were several bags placed on the bed. A curious part of me took a peek inside a few bags only to see that they contained women's clothes.

He had brought clothes for me. And just like that, the emotions I was holding rushed over me once again.

As I glanced around, a few more bags caught my attention, placed on the table near the sofa. I didn't have to look inside to know they were shoes; the labels on the bags indicated they were all from expensive brands.

With a heavy sigh, I left everything just the way it was before and didn't touch anything.

Walking towards the window, I gazed at the endless forest as if it was going to calm my thoughts and provide me with some answers.

Even when I told him I was going to leave once everything was sorted, what was this thing called "everything" I was referring to, anyway?

Was it when Steven's pack would stop hunting me? Was it when Zev would stop obsessing over me? Was it when Ansel would finally stop lying about me being his mate?

Will any of this ever going to happen, or am I just stuck in this madness forever?

I was busy gazing outside when the door opened and clicked shut behind. I didn't have to turn around to see who it was... as every part of my body would recognize his presence anywhere.

"You didn't touch anything," his deep voice echoed in the silent room after a few seconds.

I heard his footsteps drawing closer but didn't turn around.

He was right behind me now, and I could feel his warm breath on my neck. My hands were folded around my chest as I curled them into fists, as if to stop myself from trembling because of his closeness.

I thought he would eventually take the hint and leave me alone if I didn't answer him, but it did the opposite.

Suddenly, his hand wrapped around my elbow and I gasped as he turned me around. His body pushed me against the nearest wall, and I was left trapped between his body heat and the cold wall.

"What do you think you're doing?" I glared at him, struggling in his hold.

"Trying to talk to my mate..." He gazed down at me. "When she won't even look at me."

"There's nothing for us to talk about," I asserted. "Now, let me go."

"I thought after last night we had become closer," he said, peering into my eyes. "Why are you acting like this? Did I do something wrong?"

Did he truly believe that just one night could bridge all the differences between us?

I looked away, unable to meet his gaze, but my heart raced nonetheless.