Chapter 8: Are You Serious?

"Why are your eyes bloodshot?"

"Don't worry about it. Here, I got you a coffee." The three IVs in my classmate's arm make me choke back tears. I walk to the window, watching the people down below.

"Did Ryo and company get to you again?" I nod my head, averting direct eye contact with my company.

"I have to go. Text or call if you need anything."

"Blaise?" I stop right outside the door, turning my head slowly.

"Take care of yourself, please. And thank you." I return Lila's smile with one of my own. The breathing tube brings up memories.

Once outside, I turn left, my company is a few meters behind me.

"And how may I help you, young men?"

"One coffee with four sugar cubes for me, and a black tea for this guy."

Do not come over here. Do not come over here!

"Oh, we are going to be here a while. Thanks."

C'est juste mon chance! Ces garçons sont tres ennuyeux!

While I am mentally complaining, I sense two people approaching me. I keep my eyes on the empty booth seats in front of me, removing a faded picture from my backpack.

"You gave us quite a scare. Running off as fast as you did. Mind if we join you."

I jump in my seat, putting the picture back where I found it.

"Yes, I do mind. Please take your icy blue eyes someplace else."

My request falls on deaf ears as the white-haired sorcerer sits down, crossing his arms over his chest. He leans back in his seat.

"Who sent you? What are your intentions?" I lean forward on my elbows, cocking my head to the left.

"I sent myself."

"Very well. You with the piercings, who sent you, and what are your intentions?"

"Satoru, how about we take our drinks to go."

"Nah, Suguru, I enjoy watching her face change. Why are your eyes red?"

"Ça ne vous concern pas. You are from Kyoto Curse College, nice uniforms and insignia." I sip from my coffee while watching Satoru.

"You are incorrect. We are from Tokyo Metropolitan Curse College. And what is your name?"

"You two should know my name since your superiors sent you to fetch me. Let me save you both some time, I am not going with you to the campus. And don't threaten me with your smirk."

"Oi, I like this one. She is feisty. Our instructor sent for you, we will be waiting outside. Come, Suguru."

I close my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose. Before getting up, I slowly remove the picture, look at it and say, "I wish you were still here."

.............................................................

"Do you think she will run away?"

"Look for yourself, Suguru."

"There is no need to stare at me. Let's go." I hold a palm out while finishing off my coffee.

Satoru turns on his heels with Suguru walking next to him. I wait half a second before following the two.

After twenty minutes, we find ourselves in the middle of campus. And what a sight it is! Spacious grounds dotted with temples, a coy pond in the back, and trees for days. Then reality hits me like a pound of bricks as a stocky, middle-aged sorcerer walks toward us.