Chapter 17: Help Came

"Miss Santa-Clara, are you alright?" Everyone is looking at me funny. "Let's go back inside."

Before I can protest, Miss Ano takes my hand and pulls me ahead of everyone. She sits me down at the kitchen table, placing cold water before me. An inaudible cry escapes my mouth, causing me to choke on air.

"Mom, what is she doing here still?" I do a spit take into my cup, covering my mouth during the process.

"Etsuka! Watch your language in front of our company."

By the time Suguru and Satoru sit down, I am on my second glass. I jug it with care in the world.

"May I have a third glass of water, please?" I can feel my pulse starting to level out.

Etsuka looks at me with daggers in her eyes. She runs out the kitchen door and slams a drawing onto the table. I pick it up without protest.

"Don't worry about her, she is ten years old and trying to figure herself out. Here is your water."

Miss Ano gives us a soft grin, the evening light reflecting off her light-colored orbs highlighting the pale grey hue. If she were not married and a bit younger, I would consider asking her on a date. She sits across the table from me.

"Whatever questions you have, please ask. I am an open book; my husband, it takes time for him to warm up to others."

I look at the empty glass, then move my gaze from Sarou to Suguru. The pounding in my ears makes me tap the table and shake my leg. Finally, I take a deep, silent breath.

"As a vampire, how do you navigate living with a human and feeding yourself?"

My face flushes red the moment my question is asked. Both my classmates close their eyes, shaking their heads slowly from side to side. I was born without a filter and will die without a filter. Miss Ano's face beams with joy as her teeth shine in the setting light.

Miss Ano smiles while sitting forward in her seat. "I eat human food. How old is the vampire you are asking about?"

"Her early twenties." I hold both of my wrists out for Miss Ano to see. She traces along my veins and lets out a small whistle. Satoru turns his head to the side while scrunching his nose. Suguru's face remains unmoved. His eyes slowly follow the lines Miss Ano makes.

"I assumed blood would be part of your diet. How do you keep yourself from feeding off your husband?"

"You like asking questions, eh?" Miss Ano laughs under her breath, "I don't have a taste for blood. One of the perks of being born a vampire."

I cover my wrists and look at the table. She gets up from the table, returning with a pen five minutes later.

"Here," I hand her Etsuka's drawing, "call me when if you need support with your roommate."

The buzzing from my phone makes me jump in my skin! I wave my hands frantically while everyone else starts laughing uncontrollably.

6:30 pm: Jail Cells Under Campus Grounds

"Oh my, I am surprised the old farts let you down here without permission."

"Shut up before I rip your fangs out! Rumors are circling regarding an exchange event taking place next month, important people showing up, and ongoing missions for Blaise. Start talking!"

"I am touched by your gentle nature, baby vampire. Why are you attached to one of them?"

Despite her physical strength, Sakura can't break the bars keeping the older vampire caged. A shock wave to the heart renders her immobile. Her body gets bound by seals and dragged to a cell deep within the isolation house.