Chapter 9: Family Gem (Secrets)

January 8, 2007: 5:30pm

Prepare for new adventures and don't worry about making allies. You have people rooting for you.

"What a strange note. Must be a sign I should move." I fold the paper in half, placing it on my kitchen counter while walking into my bedroom.

Meanwhile

"What are your thoughts on Bella?"

"You mean Blaise, Satoru?"

"Bella, Blaise, both names start with B."

"She is tight-lipped, emotionally distant, and protective. It will be interesting watching her develop while at Jujutsu Tech."

Satoru cocks an eyebrow at Suguru's words before smiling.

"It will be more than interesting! The Higher-Ups will have fun with her."

"Have fun with whom?" Satoru and Suguru jerk up as a salt-and-pepper-haired individual sits across the table from them. "Did those rusty screws find their target?"

"They did, grandpa, want some tea?"

"Only if it's sweetened to infinity, yes. Suguru, you are looking pretty good. Now tell me, what does your new classmate look like?"

"Purple eyes, average height, light brown skin. Highly skilled at her craft." Suguru sips from his mug in between words.

Haruren Gojo, the current Gojo head, bobs his head up and down while Suguru talks. His grandson produces the object retrieved from Abitha School for Young Minds.

"Why are you here, grandpa?"

"I just missed Santa-Clara while coming to visit you." Harurun stares at the ceiling, contemplation dances across his dark-blue irises. "Hopefully, she will not run off, like the other Carbella Clan members." His eyes shut while his hands clutch tight against the object.

The grandson and his friend look at each other, wondering what is up with the elder.

"I have to get home. Your mother will berate me with questions if I am late. See you suckers later."

"The Carbella Clan? Have you heard of them, Satoru?"

Satoru shakes his head left and right.

January 8, 2007, 8:30pm

"Stay where you are. I am on my way to you."

Rain violently hits the ground as I excuse myself from the French lesson. My attention focuses on the approaching bus, ignoring my phone's whines.

Thump, thump. Thump, thump.

If only you answered your phone, selfish girl! HE would be alive today had you responded to his message. Shame on you! Shame!

Knock, knock.

"Shut up! Shut up!" I scream into the darkness. The blood swooshing in my ears suppresses the sounds coming from the front door.

"Hey, are you home?"

Why would anyone be visiting at 9:00 pm?

I throw my sheets off, sensing Satoru's and Suguru's presence.

"Leave the stuff she is asleep."

The smell of scallion pancake makes my tastebuds salivate. And the uniform looks nice. I open the door, looking in either direction before grabbing the items. Had I paid more attention, I would have felt the drop in temperature.

While brushing my teeth, I hear a crash from the kitchen. I roll my eyes to the ceiling and shut the water off. Once outside the bathroom door, I spot a creature around my height, with its back turned to me. A pile of food rests at its pruney feet.