Chapter 34- Welcome to Chaos!

I throw my bag onto the ground, causing an echo to sing off the stone walls. I pace back and forth, shaking my head enough to make some curls veil my eyes. When my face starts heating up, I sit down, covering it with my bare hands.

"What is so special about me that brings every sorcerer and their father after me!?" I ask nobody in particular. "What part of leave me alone do folks not understand?"

My ranting is cut short when low breaths tickle my ears. I turn my bloodshot eyes toward Satoru. His head cocks to the left, making his sunglasses shift. He walks over to the green bag, slowly squatting to pick it up. I shake my head and hold out a hand, signaling for him not to come near me with it. He furrows his brow.

"Open it." I point to the top zipper. I slowly stand up, taking a deep inhale.

When he pulls out the doll, his pupils slowly dilate. I shake my head at his accusatory look.

"It is not mine." I feel my face heating up again. "I found it in a public restroom."

I sound like a five-year-old whining for attention. The high-pitchiness of my voice does not help either. Today sucks.

Satoru snaps his head sideways. His eyes scan the area where the sorcerer once stood.

"Who were you talking with?" He looks at me point-blank.

"I don't know! A new stalker." I hang my head low, folding my hands over each other. "A family member I have never met! God, get that effing doll away from me!"

I jump around in circles before walking through the school gate.

I scan the grounds, seeing a few people muddling about. Satoru walks up behind me, pointing a finger at the building on the far left. We pick up our pace, jogging to the library. Both of us slow down, catching our breath, before walking inside.

We just missed him!

As if reading my mind, Satoru gestures for me to follow him. We walk through the shelves, out the backdoor, and toward a two-story adjunct building. Its stone facade reminds me of the buildings in Quebec. Then we spot Grandpa Gojo walking to the back door. I am about to break into a run when Satoru stops me.

"What gives?"

"Look for yourself." He points to the upstairs study. I squint my eyes, noticing two silhouettes against the backdrop.

Too late. The older Gojo looks at us right as the door opens. His eyes shift between us and the person holding the door. With a quick shake of his head, he disappears.

I continue forward, stopping short of the front door. Satoru stands next to me.

"What is this place?" I ask.

Silence.

I slowly walk through the gate, fist ready to pound the door. When I step onto the porch, the door opens by itself. I look into the long hallway, waiting for something to appear. Nothing.

"Go on. We don't have all day." The undertones in Satoru's words make me scowl. He ignores me, walking inside.

He heads string for the winding staircase. I quicken my pace, trailing behind him. Roughly halfway upstairs, I am hit with deja vu.

"This way." Satoru waves me to the right.

Satoru stands in front of the door, knocking it twice. I pick up my pace, feeling the hairs on my arms stand up. As the door opens, nobody is there to greet us.

"You might as well come inside." A voice says from the dark room.

Satoru steps aside, letting me walk past him. The door closes silently.