Chapter 27: To Ask

My hands involuntarily shake as we approach the school. I nod at Satoru and Suguru as they escort Riko onto the grounds. A flock of girls gasps as the males walk by, making me giggle. Something in the distance makes me jerk my neck to the left.

Nothing. I rub my face and put my nose into my phone.

"We should go. Riko is in good hands." The woman smiles meekly, avoiding eye contact. While gathering my thoughts, I tell my partners to keep their eyes open.

Within a few minutes, I spot an area with lots of pedestrian traffic. Perfect. I steady my pace, letting the woman catch up. When we reach the crosswalk, my eyes bulge out of their sockets! I grab the woman, pulling her in front of me.

In haste, I text Satoru and Suguru. Blood swooshes in my ears as we come upon the corporate campus. The silver buildings bask in their glory like a king enjoying their court. I steady my gaze on one building, shoving Miss Misato inside.

I duck my head, avoiding the security personnel on our way to the cafe. The handle of my blade barely peeks from inside my shirt.

"Miss?"

If the five of us can regroup, that would be the safest way to keep Riko alive!

"Hello?"

Why have you not responded? Do I redirect us to Riko's school? What if the Higher Ups find out I am in on this mission?

"I hear you, Miss Misato," I force a smile onto my face, "thank you."

Then I check my phone. My heart leaps from my chest, making me choke hard. I grab Miss Misato's hand and rush us back to campus, my one-track mind forgetting about our company.

My face is warm to the touch, and I can't stay still. If I were Riko, where would I run off? I clear my throat before the boys reach us.

"Hey, sorry to give you a fright," Satoru addresses Miss Misato while Suguru texts Yaga. "Any idea on where Riko may have gone?"

Students slowly approach us on their way home. Most of them gawking at my colleagues or giving me a death stare.

"On our way out the door this morning, she briefly mentioned wanting to meet a friend."

"Would she have gone back to the house?" I say through gritted teeth, "Or straight to her friend?"

I hold a hand up to Satoru before he interrupts Miss Misato. "To her friend, why?"

"I was attacked before we found both of you at the store." I step aside and hold my left palm out. "Please, lead us to her friend. Hurry."

Within a few minutes, we find ourselves outside an ice cream shop. Sure enough, Riko is conversing with three classmates. I rub my face, taking a deep breath before turning around. I point a thumb to the table Riko is seated at while holding a palm out to Suguru and Satoru. It takes every ounce of self-control for me to stay put.

Then I see the exact figure from before, lurking by a telephone pole.

"Suguru, go inside and fetch Riko." Satoru looks at me, glasses hanging off his nose. "What is the matter with you?"

"Look for yourself." Just as Satoru turns around, the figure is gone. Vola! Like a magic trick!

"We need to get to campus. Now!" I say over my shoulder as I walk across the street. There is no way I am losing the stalker's trail. I veer left into a lightly packed alleyway.

After coming to a dead end, I grit my teeth and retrace my steps. My hand reaches for the fire escape, and my body swings gracefully onto the rungs. The coolness of the metal heightens my senses. From across the street, I hear Riko's soft tears roll down her face.